Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama rut
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello the camp:
First- I want to ass my htanks to Spring for a mission well done. Se his post about the second annual Marine Deer Hunt he hosts. I would like to help him make it an on going celebration of our new heros.

Now, why does no one write about the rut in Alabama? We have one of the largest deer heards in the US and yet everything is about the yankee states. Not that I have much against yankees, I would even let my first wife's daughter marry one, if she wern't a Bama co-ed that would be wasted up in the frozen north where she could not wear her short shorts all year.
But enough of that. does anyone have any good information about the rut in the south and Alabama in particular? I know that it peaks in Blount County around New Years, but that seems to vary other places. Insome places we seem to have two or more rut periods, and they last longer than up north. We also have fawns real late in the year. I saw a spotted fawn on the opening day of bow season(10-16-06)
JUST WONDERING YOU KNOW-
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody already knows the rut never truly ends in Alabama!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done a little deer hunting in Alabama around Greenville and the people there say the rut in is January. Which is about two months later than it is here in GA. So that means that the does drop their fawns later in the year. One person once told me it was later in Alabama because of where the deer herd was replinished from back in the 70's, WI I think they said is where the deer came from. Don't know if all this is true but that is what I have been told from people in that area.

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine was hunting Lumpkin Ga a couple weeks ago and said he saw does every day with spotted fawns. Looks like there timing may have been off a little the past season.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Montgomery Lions Club has a charity hunt that takes place during the rut and the hunt is in the middle of january. This hunt started in jan, 2004 and has been an annual thing every year.
http://www.lionsclubdeerhunt.com/

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the alabama rut is the same time as ours here in Mississippi (central part) then it's in mid to late January.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the rut starts for Alabama hunters only after they beat Auburn....

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,
I was talking about the DEER rut. Everyone knows the rut is always on for Alabama co-eds. If Alabama did manage to screw up and beat Auburn for a change, it might thrpw the co[ed rut off because of all of the adult libations they would consume. The season would end before they got over the hangovers.
Give em' hell Alabamer.
I are a proud alum of the University of Alabama and I will fight anyone who says that we arm't a top ten party school. To hell with football.
Lets keep our priorities straight.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt a bit w/ my family in Alabama and they always told me the rut wasn't in until mid January every year. They live in Eufala (Sp?)

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Alabama off and on since 1983. MY father-in-law belongs to a club about 150 miles north of Pensacola near Thomasville. The rut in Alabama is as described before, sometime around mid-January.

The problem is that it's not really a rut. Why? because the does to buck ratio (with the exception of well-run deer hunting outfits) is on the order of 20:1 or more, hence bucks are awash in females and no need to really rut. Deer hunting in Alabama is a lot like pheasant hunting. Two per day (buck or doe) no tags or limit and I think like 5 in possession. LOTS of deer and on occassion some good ones ae taken. Opening day's on Sat Nov 18 for gun. I don't do BP or bow. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote