Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio hunters - Help please
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I went back to Ohio this week for a funeral and one of Wifezilla's cousin told me that I'm welcome to hunt their farms anytime that I wish. They have a few hundred acres of corn, soybean and woodlots in Ross County and the whitetail mounts in the living room showed some big 160"-180" bucks with necks as big around as my waist.

I've got the information on the Ohio DNR site for seasons and all but the requirements for the gun season say straight wall cartridges from .357 to .50 Caliber allowed.

Is that the only cartridge limitation?

I can use my 44 Magnum pistol or my 45/70 and 458 Win Mag rifles?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Dubious on the 458. But 44 mag and 45/70 are good to go. It is straight walled cartridges allowed but I believe there’s a caveat. I’m just north of Ross county and yes there’s some bruiser bucks around.

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I thought that there was a cartridge length limitation but I can't find it in the hunting regulations.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I went back to Ohio this week for a funeral and one of Wifezilla's cousin told me that I'm welcome to hunt their farms anytime that I wish. They have a few hundred acres of corn, soybean and woodlots in Ross County and the whitetail mounts in the living room showed some big 160"-180" bucks with necks as big around as my waist.

I've got the information on the Ohio DNR site for seasons and all but the requirements for the gun season say straight wall cartridges from .357 to .50 Caliber allowed.

I think the use of rifles started in 2014 or 2015. I believe there have been a couple of changes between then and now. I think now any straight walled case is legal. If I remember correctly, when it first began if the round wasnt chambered in a pistol it was not legal.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Found this if it helps...

*Shotguns used to hunt whitetail must be of gauge 10 or smaller, with one shell per barrel.

*Rifled barrels, when paired with shotgun slugs, are legal in Ohio.

*Hunters may not possess shotgun shells loaded with shot during whitetail season, unless they are hunting waterfowl.

*No more than three cartridges may be loaded into the firearm in either the chamber or magazine combined.

*Handguns must have barrels measuring over 5 inches in length (measured from the front of the chamber or cylinder to the end of the barrel) and must be of caliber .357 or greater.

*Both handguns and rifles must be chambered in a straight-walled cartridge. Straight-walled ammunition has no shoulder, and typically exhibits an arched trajectory.

*Rifles must be chambered in a caliber of .357 or greater, not to exceed a caliber of .50.

*As with shotguns, no more than three cartridges may be loaded into the firearm’s chamber and magazine combined.

*Muzzleloading rifles must be of caliber .38 or greater, and muzzleloading shotguns may not exceed a gauge of 10.

*Muzzleloading handguns are illegal for hunting whitetail deer.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that's what I found also. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
According to those regs. your 458 Win. would be legal. You certainly won't be under gunned with that round. clap

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
According to those regs. your 458 Win. would be legal. You certainly won't be under gunned with that round. clap
Actually, I have never called to ask, but there has been some discussion that the belt renders the .458 a non straight wall. I hunt with a 50 Alaskan or 50-110 in a lever action which are listed as legal.....but my 30-30 isn't which is absolute stupidity in my book.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:

*Shotguns used to hunt whitetail must be of gauge 10 or smaller, with one shell per barrel .

I might be extra dumb tonight, but what does that mean???

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunt with a 50 Alaskan or 50-110 in a lever action which are listed as legal.....but my 30-30 isn't which is absolute stupidity in my book.

Caliber/cartridge restrictions are the height of stupidity.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I hunt with a 50 Alaskan or 50-110 in a lever action which are listed as legal.....but my 30-30 isn't which is absolute stupidity in my book.

Caliber/cartridge restrictions are the height of stupidity.

I’ve hunted with/around folks who I couldn’t wait to get away from. Not everyone uses common sense and good judgment. Would prefer these folks be limited to 22 shorts. Let alone a 30/06.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

I'm guessing it's poorly worded to mean one projectile, given the other rule below. In other words, no shot.

*Shotguns used to hunt whitetail must be of gauge 10 or smaller, with one shell per barrel.

*Hunters may not possess shotgun shells loaded with shot during whitetail season, unless they are hunting waterfowl.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When bureaucrat's make rules

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I think that I'm going to buy a 350 Legend upper for an AR15. I don't shoot the ARs enough and I can loan it to my daughter if she goes with me.

Frank

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

I'm guessing it's poorly worded to mean one projectile, given the other rule below. In other words, no shot.

Yes, a poorly worded attempt to say you must use a slug instead of buckshot or birdshot.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I would like to see them clarify which cartridges don't have "arched trajectories"? That darn gravity has affected all the cartridges I've ever shot.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, a poorly worded attempt to say you must use a slug instead of buckshot or birdshot.

Would not go over well in court.

Specific words have meanings a shell is not the projectile.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Nothing too fast basically. I feel they should move to fps limit. You’re allowed 3 shells/cartridges/bullets, however you wanta say it per gun. I use a 12 gauge shotgun with whatever slugs are rolling around in the truck doors/console. And have my whole life. I hunt every year, every day of the season all day. Most of my shots are deer running at Mach 10. I did my time in the tree stand and can’t hardly stand it anymore. Fast and furious is way more exciting.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that I'm going to buy a 350 Legend upper for an AR15. I don't shoot the ARs enough and I can loan it to my daughter if she goes with me.

Great option there. I have built 5 or 6 of these over the last few years for myself and friends. Last two years that is what my daughter has used and both kills went less then 70 yards combined and shots were in the 150 yard range. These are legit 200 yard guns. Ross county produces some large bucks.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes - any straight walled cartridge.. There are quite a few of us that use 458 Win Mag.. I load mine down to a comfortable load similar to a 45/70…

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote