Notify
Tools

Nature Films
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Guys,

I was just up late tonight and killing some time watching TV. I ran across a nature film called "Call of the Wilderness" narrated by Rex Allen, and produced back in 1974. While not about Africa, I though it worthy of mention here. It covered the animals of North America from Florida to Alaska and showcased the animals behaviors during the different seasons of the year.

What was refreshing was the absence of all the end of the world scenario's of climate change and crocodile tear cries of imminent extinction of every species shown. I remember seeing this film when I was young and yearn for the day when nature shows presented the outdoors and wildlife in a non-political manner. All too often today, I just can't watch nature shows as I find them full of lies concerning the portrayal of EVERY SINGLE ANIMAL SPECIES as being on the brink of disappearing for good.

Anyway, it's just been a long time since enjoying a nature show of this type. I was wondering if any of you remember these types of nature shows such as the "Marty Stauffer" (sp?) series? It sure would be nice to see something like this today without all the lies directed at generating donations for the NGO flavor of the month, only to line the pockets of fake environmentalists such as Joloburn and her ilk.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Yep i rember those days,
I started watching some show the other day and first thing the started talking about what a great success theve had at restoring yellowstones natural echo system. I wanted to puke. Changed the channel quickly.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
You're absoutely right!

My mother never understands (and indicates her offense) why I never renew the NGO subscriptions she purchases for myself & my kids.

Even a cursory reading of any NGO issue - adult & especially kids - would show a pronounced bias towards non-hunting wildlife management.

Happily, my kids never took any interest in the issues (though I do find most of their maps helpful & interesting).

In the same vein, I no longer have any guilt whatsoever about listening to public radio & not sending a contribution. Of course, perhaps they should be thanking not just "contributers like you", but tell the plain truth and say instead "tax-payers like you".

But that's a different thread, now isn't it? offtopic faint

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup. I miss them. I was up LATE one night recently and saw an ad for the Marty Stauffer series on DVD. I wish I had bought it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember as a kid all of us huddling around the tv for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. Even as a child I always found it funny as the older gent (Marlin?) would send the younger chap (Jim?) out to wrestle crocs, anacondas and such while he leaned back on the truck.

Don't recall any political untertones to those shows back in the day

Posts: 88 | Location: Hampton Virginia  | Registered: 02 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I remember when Mutual of Omaha came to Tucson to film a program about jaguars. The film crew arrived with a small jaguar and two semi-tame mountain lions. A well-known southern Arizona lion hunter was hired to play the role of a rancher whose cattle were being killed by a mysterious cat.

Long story short, the two lions were so frightened of the dogs the crew had a hard time getting them to leave their cages so they could be photographed in the Arizona "wilderness" (actually just a couple of miles east of our city).

The jaguar almost got away from them, but the dogs treed it per script, and the show eventually aired.

I knew the lion hunter well and I laughed all through the program because I knew how it had been filmed. It ended with the announcer proclaiming that the spotted cat was returning to Mexico unharmed and all was well with the world.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I remember the M of O shows as well. Always entertaining. Mr. Eastman's as well. But more to the point I was making, some of the old nature shows, where not hunting or hunting oriented, were still able to present the beauty of nature's animals without constantly singing the song of sorrow concerning the "Planet in Crisis" crap and how every single critter is endangered due to hunting. It was nice to see a nature movie with a bit more integrity for a change. I wish we had more like it today. There are certainly MORE nature shows today, but they are chocked full of ideological lies in favor of the anti's.

I suppose that is by design so that someone at the NGO's sponsoring todays NatGeoWild and the like, can line their pockets with money from the easily influenced with emotional gibberish. Just take a look at all the HSUS infomercials with the sad eyed little kittens and puppies! Roll Eyes No matter that none of the HSUS money goes to the local shelters.