Find
Notify
Tools

Bear attack yellowstone
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yellowstone grizzly attacks leave four injured in two incidents

Yellowstone grizzly attacks: Two attacks by grizzly bears, in Yellowstone National Park and 70 miles away, left four people with minor injuries. Two hikers surprised a sow grizzly and her cub on a trail near Canyon Village in Yellowstone Thursday.

By John Miller and Mead Gruver, Associated Press / August 17, 2013 grizzly bear roams near Beaver Lake in Yellowstone National Park, Wy. in 2011. Two hikers were attacked Thursday at Yellowstone when they came upon a grizzly bear cub and mother.

(
Cheynne, Wyo.

Four people injured in two separate bear attacks in and near Yellowstone National Park on the same day were able to escape with relatively minor injuries. None remained hospitalized Friday.

In Yellowstone, officials decided not to pursue a grizzly that attacked two hikers on a trail near Canyon Village Thursday in the north-central portion of the park. The sow grizzly attacked after the hikers came across its young cub born the previous winter, according to park spokesman Al Nash.

"This bear by all accounts was acting on instinct, defending its cub. That is natural and normal behavior for a sow grizzly," Nash said Friday.

Park officials weren't identifying the two victims. One was treated at a hospital for bite and claw wounds and released and the other was treated at the scene.

Both victims reported they deployed bear spray, then dropped to the ground and played dead.

"Which is what we advise hikers to do when they find themselves in that type of situation," Nash said.

Later that day, two Bureau of Land Management contract workers were attacked about 70 miles west of the Yellowstone attack.

"They were about 40 feet out, and a bear under a tree just came up at them. It hit the first fellow, bit him in the thigh and backside," Idaho Department of Fish and Game spokesman Gregg Losinski said. "The second person got out his bear spray. When the bear hit him, it bit his hand."

Both unidentified workers were treated at a hospital in Rexburg, Idaho, and released.

Grizzly attacks have become more common in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho as the region's grizzly population has rebounded over the past 20 years or so. Wild grizzlies have killed four people in the Yellowstone region over the past three years.

This year, grizzly attacks have wounded at least three others in the Rockies, including a rancher east of Yellowstone and a woman on Montana's Blackfeet Indian Reservation. Last month, a researcher near Island Park underwent minor surgery after being bitten by a grizzly.

Attacks tend to pick up as hunters roam the backcountry in pursuit of elk each fall.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Old two toes back from the dead?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, just sharing the country with GRIZ.
We had a bad one earlier this year.
Guy irrigating and his dogs stirred up a
sow with cubs.
He lost half his face in the encounter, along with a few other war wounds

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Attacks tend to pick up as hunters roam the backcountry in pursuit of elk each fall.

I recall an article done by a fellow who hunts Elk near Yellowstone and he says that firing a shot is like ringing a dinner bell. The Grizz have adapted to the point that when they hear a shot they head towards it. Once an Elk is down he gets after gutting and getting out ASAP.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear spray dosent seem to be working very well.....

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hunting with bow in Griz country, I carry double barrel 20' shotgun with slugs and buck shots. Haven't had to use it, but I'd say better then spray or hand gun any day of the week.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote