Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas traditions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted
Christmas is closing in, and I wonder what hunting related Christmas traditions you have in your neck of the wood? What I do myself is "shooting the x-mas tree". Instead of bringing a saw or axe when going to the wood, I bring my shotgun. I select a nice little fir and blast it close to the ground with a good load of US 5. Not very widespread tradition in Sweden, but several of my friends does it.

Guess my daughter caused some stir in her school when she told about daddy shooting the x-mas three...

Then it will be hunting on boxing day of course, goes without saying!

So what will you be up to?

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....Christmas traditions......there is the "sil and boiled potatoes" and "Lutefisk" of course. No real hunting traditions that I can think of...unless you count buying your son a new rifle for Christmas.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back home in KS, we still have a late doe deer season starting the 1st of January. It's been a tradition for the past few years to go hunting after Christmas for some meat for the freezer. Nothing fancy, but it is a great time to spend with friends and family.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every other year we go to Texas, and I get in a little deer/hog hunting. This year we are having Christmas at home in Iowa, so we will go pheasant hunting. Can't wait until the next one, my grandson will be old enough to go along!

Happy Holidays
DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I go goose hunting every christmas morning untill about 9:00 and then we open up gifts. Then coffe and brunch followed buy another turn at goose and duck hunting. Life is good. Another twist on the christmas "goose".

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Squirrels!!! Christmas morning for as long as I can remember was always a squirrel hunt. All the menfolk would leave the ladies to fix the meal and head out into the woods for a morning hunt. This year it will be me, my two sons, one of their wifves, both the fathers-in law, my daughter, and my two oldest granddaughters. The three grandmothers have agreed to do the meal chores. Should be a great hunt. The pecan trees are loaded with nuts and squirrels this seasson.

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our first Christmas tradition is forgetting my birthday; Yep, I am one of those unfortunates who was born Christmas day. No presents, parties or attention. Sob!

But... Christmas afternoon is when all the relatives get together, the women do dishes and gossip, and the men go out and hunt those awesome Iowa pheasants!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
120, where are you located in Iowa? I am in the Iowa City area.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, wonderful memories; an a young hunter I often had to get the christmas tree when hunting. Usually I would forget it until dark, when some awful piece of fir was shot (because the saw was safely at home), brought home, and then thrown out, and consequently I had to get another tree the next day.

Two years ago I got a beautiful one for my mom and dad with a 30-06 200 grs Nosler partition (I shit you not). My buddies and I were hunting our finnish whitetails without success, but at the end of the day I got my tree. My friend asked over the radio if I got it, and I told him it had a beautiful spread. He raced over and had a laughed..
The nosler cut it clean off.

Merry Christmas all and God Jul Marterius and Johan

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And Hyvaa Joulua to you Boha!

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

Merry Christmas all and God Jul Marterius and Johan

Boha

Boha,

Since we are in the fantastic cyber world . I guess we have to say, God Jul, Gott nytt �r och sk�l ta mej tangentbord

P.S gl�m inte att n�got av det viktigaste p� julbordet �r buff�n av flaskor

Cheers

/ JOHAN