THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Suitable gunsmith for my new custom Ruger No.1

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suitable gunsmith for my new custom Ruger No.1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I have made up my mind to build a custom Ruger No.1 chambered for the old
.400 Jeffery. My budget is max 3500$. I have heard there are some proven gunsmiths as David Norin, S. Davenport or Gary Reeder. Whom would you recommend? I would appreciate any pictures of your custom No.1. However the plan is to have a No.1 deep blued, with open sights, classic checkering and a good walnut stock.
Thank You for your advice in advance.

CZ, Prague

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think Mr. Davenport works on Ruger #1s. I see him at the range quite frequently and we were discussing a #1 I have. He didn't seem too interested in working with a #1 as he felt he didn't have any experience with them.
I have seen some of Gary Reeder's work, but he's only had hand handguns at the gun show the last time I saw him.
I don't know anything about the other fellow you mentioned.
You might try the Harry Lawson Company in Tucson. IIRC, they quoted about $400 for the rebarrel on a #1, but if they don't have the reamer, you might have to furnish it. Their Metal man Joel does some very nice work and Randy Lawson did a really fine job on a Mauser .280 Rem. they put together for me. Whether they have done any full blown custom jobs on Ruger #1s, I don't know, but I wouldn't hesitate having them do one for me if I could afford one.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet would be Hamilton Bowen in TN they have a web site with their prices and examples of Their work.W/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
CZ,

I do not have a custom gun built by him, but the No.1 on his site looks pretty good. I sold him a No.1 action last year from a recommendation on AR. From your description of what you want, I would (at least) check it out.

Mark Stratton
Ph: 425-745-8309
Web site: www.gunmaker.net
e-mail: octbarrel@aol.com

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ

Do you mean 404 Jeffery?

I think Hamilton Bowen quit doing rifle conversions in order to concentrate on pistols. Unless he has started back again, this was the last I heard.

YOu might try Roger Ferrell of Fayetteville, Georgia. I know he has done some custom Ruger Number 1s, including his own 450-400 that he used to shoot two buffalo with. Roger's phone number is (770) 460-1533.

He does beautiful work.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I would have a barrel maker like Pac-Nor rebarrel and send it in the white to American Gun Stocks and then have a local gunsmith add NECG gun sights.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote