THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Elk Results - 338-06 & 185 gr Barnes Triple Sh

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Elk Results - 338-06 & 185 gr Barnes Triple Sh
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have tried 185 and 210 gr original X's in this rifle and just could not get the accuracy I wanted (and I ain't that picky). The 185 gr TSX is the most accurate bullet I have shot from this rifle and I have tried about everything... This is an older LaBounty rebore and is a real tack driver with most loads I have tried except the original X. I would prefer a bit more weight myself but did not want to go to the 225 gr TSX. I have very successfully used the 210 gr Partition at 2800 fps on elk and nilgai from this rifle. You cannot go wrong with that bullet in the 338-06 IMO. I have an FN 9.3x62 that shoots the 250 standard X beautifully. It hammered eland, kudu, gemsbuck, etc. with authority and made me an X believer. This elk hunt just reinforced that belief. Oh yeah, I hunted unguided on public land and took this bull at 11,700 feet.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,

Congrats on the elk!! I am working on TSX loads for 3 calibers right now. I can't wait to try them in the field.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been a while since I have posted here. I just returned from a Colorado elk hunt where I took a nice, large bodied 5x6 bull. I used my 338-06 loaded with the 185 gr Triple Shock over a compressed charge VV-N550 powder. I took a quartering away shot at a lazered 269 yards. The bull literally dropped where he stood at the shot which entered just behind the shoulder and stopped just under the skin after centering the off shoulder. The bullet lost all petals having a smooth "smeared" face and weighs 121 grs. Though certainly effective I was surprised to see the loss of petals at such a distance/impact velocity. Muzzle velocity was just over 3000 fps.

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Thanks for the report I plan on using the 185 gr TSX in my 338-06 for whitetails next month.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Congrats, I like your choice of carts. I love my .338-06. Have you tried the 210grNP, it seems made for the .338-06 @ 2750fps.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job. I'm going to use the 200gr Barnex in my 338 Win Mag this year. I wish they had the tripple shocks in a 200 to 215gr 338. Were you on a guided hunt? Where did you hunt?

Posts: 58 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 March 2004Reply With Quote