Find
Notify
Tools

Nilgai Bull Hunt Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Any recommendations on a good ranch/hunt for Niglai Bulls?

King Ranch seems pretty reasonable - $750/day + $1,000 trophy fee. I can't imagine more than 1-2 days to get one.

Recommendations for other folks? I have seen some other ranches and they had some crazy prices.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
King Ranch is the one I have been looking. I am contemplating a bull and cow hunt, bull for the trophy, cow for the extra meat.

To show you how messed up the meds have me with this arm, when I first read the title of the thread, I thought it said Nyala instead of Nilgai.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Let me know when you are going, maybe we could get a couple of AR folks down there at once. that would be nice.

Trying to decide what to shoot in my 375 H&H:
300 grain A-frams
300 grain partitions
300 grain soft points
270 grain soft points
260 grain Accubonds

I have a lot extra ammo. I'm thinking the A-frames or partitions.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I get it worked up, I will ue a 250 grain "X" flat base or a 250 grain TSX out of my 375.

A group hunt would be fun.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Other good choices... Lomas Chicas Outfitters, L & L Hunting with Lendall Laxton.

A few L&L bulls taken on the Yturria Ranch

A Lomas Chicas bull taken on the Sarita East Ranch.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
+1 for hunting with Lendall. First rate all the way. Our hunt lasted 45min for 2 good bulls. Them things are everywhere on the ranch we hunted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Yturria ranch has excellent hunts. Abubddy of mine hunts all over that country, corporately, and he sends his clients to the Yturria. He had 22 successful hunts there last year.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Let me know when you are going, maybe we could get a couple of AR folks down there at once. that would be nice..

Let me know. It's on my list. I probably can't do it on the next 12 months because I'm starting a new job Tuesday but early 2013 looks possible. I'd probably take my 350 Rem Mag with 200 TTSX loaded to about 3,000 fps. Of course I could also take my 9.3x62 with 250 Accubonds. bewildered

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep us posted. i am in for sure. i saw a huge one at 777 but would not pay that fee . D O M I T !

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Other good choices... Lomas Chicas Outfitters, L & L Hunting with Lendall Laxton.

A few L&L bulls taken on the Yturria Ranch

A Lomas Chicas bull taken on the Sarita East Ranch.

Wood stocked repeater bolt action - nice!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 2 nilgai on the Yterria with Lendall as well. Good hunt. I will return for sure.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prices!! you all need to post prices!!!

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I don't post outfitter's prices as I don't want to misquote. A search of their website or call to them will get you their latest pricelist.

http://www.lomaschicasoutfitters.com/

http://www.llhunt.com/

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the statement about posting outfitter/guides prices, to easy for mis-information to be passed around.

Listing a werbsite or contact info should be more than enough.

One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
Please....check out the HYturria Ranch. Used Wildlife Systems for the hunt! Fantastic time! Went October 27-30.

Please enjoy my photos at this link.

http://public.fotki.com/DrDoug...2011-texas-nilgai-s/

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Agree about prices, good for each person to do their research

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly none of those sites just linked have prices. Frowner

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1099 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
FWIW...the Nilgai hunt with Wildlife systems was $2600. Includes food lodging, guides and 2 1/2 days hunting.

Try: http://www.wildlifesystems.com...antelope_hunting.asp

drdougrx

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, a nilgai hunt is probably going to be a 2013 project at the earliest. price is a very important aspect, and from what I have read and heard during the time I have been checking in to these hunts, is that unless a person is really picky and just want to shoot an actual trophy class bull, the hunts don't really take that long. I ain't that picky.

Paying extra for amenities has never been one of my strong points especially when all I am interested in is having the chance to kill something I have never killed before. A european nilgai skull with 6 or 7 inch horns and possibly a cow to boot which makes for a lot of from what I hear are great eating steaks and getting both in one day attracts me more than fancier digs.

One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
I think you're right about the hunts not taking that long. I saw dozens and dozens of them in the time I was at the Yturria. My guide and I established early that the difference between a top trophy and a good representative was about and inch or two in horn length. So we agreed on hide color, looking for a realy black one. We saw I'd say 20 shooters. The majority had similar horns, I certainly could not judge them very well. Most had brownish hides or were noticably smaller than others. We saw 4-5 really huge bodied bulls. At least 3 were huge and black...two were out of range or boogied as soon as they "noticed" us sneak'n up to them. One didn't!

I'll also say the digs were far from fancy. Comfortable, yes, and the food was great...not gourmet...just good stuff and plenty of it. I thought it was well worth the price.

drdougrx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure it was well worth the price. I just look at things from a little different angle.

My plans for the trip are to time it when the fish are biting along the coast. I would go down a couple of days early, get in a little fishing, do the hunt, then stay an extra day or two while the meat was being processed, get in some more fishing, then fold the tipi, pick up the meat and head for the casa.

One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous Crazy!! Hunt'n and fish'n together....been awhile for me. Nilgai wasn't even on my radar till about a year ago....funny how that happens!!!

Best of luck as always!

drdougrx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sam at lomas chicas outfitter did me right. we hunted for two days.

Posts: 87 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote