New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestions for Rain Gear!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Late August, early September, Alaskan brown bear hunt, any suggestions as to brand/type of rain gear? Would you get one size larger to wear over coats?

Thanks!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got Cabelas MT050 (something like that) used in in Alaska and now in New Zealand. Excellent protection, one thing that bothers me is the excess of mesh liner on the inside, sometimes it sticks out.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Check out what is on Cabelas web site. Not cheap by any means but quality stuff. I have used their MT050 products for years and highly recommend them.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helle Hansen Impertech that was the advice I got from most of the guys on the Alaska forum. Hunted SE AK for black bear in 07 and I know it works very well. I stayed dry and it is very light weight and holds up very well.

I'm 5'10" 225 and I bought XL and they were too large. They are very roomy, so I'd buy the size recommended instead of the one size larger mentality to fit over clothes. Plus they were very warm so I found myself just wearing my base layer, wool pants, and either a light fleece jacket or wool sweater underneath or else I'd overheat. The jacket is very well vented but be careful not to wear too many layers.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Hely Hanson Impertech. The set I have now I've had for over 12 years and it is still light, tough and waterproof. Numerous hunst including Kodiak twice and countless fishing trips proved to me it is very tough, dry stuff.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2942 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Lived in a pair Simms waders for two weeks last july. Can't get any more waterproof, bugproof, and the BEST for crossing streams.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just want to hear about the hunt you're planning.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Helly/Hansen Impertech. I recently spent 3 years in Alaska and that is by far the most widely used rain gear. I personally used my set on two sheep/grizzly hunts, a brown bear hunt on the peninsula and a boat-based moose hunt......it worked flawlessly.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for HH Impertech. It's waterproof, lightweight, and pretty tough.
Out of curiosity what is your guide suggesting you use? It might be wise to follow his recommendation.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son is the one going, and the guide just told him to buy good quality rain gear. No recommendaton as to brand or style.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad the guide wasn't at all specific. I always was just for the fact I wanted my clients to use what works.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just want to hear about the hunt you're planning.

I wish it was me, my days of out of state hunts are pretty much over, time to hoard some money and try and retire before I die! Smiler

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote of the Cabelas MT050 series. I found that ordering your normal size gave room for a reasonable amount of layering which should be suitable for that time of the year in AK especially if he is hunting the more coastal areas.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Another vote of the Cabelas MT050 series. I found that ordering your normal size gave room for a reasonable amount of layering which should be suitable for that time of the year in AK especially if he is hunting the more coastal areas.
I've used the MT050 for years and am satisfied; however, I haven't used it in Alaska. It's my understanding that it's quite a bit wetter there at times!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add my vote here for the Cabelas MT050. It has kept me warm and dry. I have used it in the rain and snow with temps down into the single digits.

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudu56- If your son is going to do multiple trips to Alaska, Canada- or anywhere else with heavy rain, then the suggestions here about Helly Hansen & Cabelas MT050 are probably sound. However, I used whatever I had for my all my hunts to Alaska(6 trips to the Alaska Pen., Brooks Range & S/E AK) and the Northwest Terr. I already had Browning packable(lightweight) Goretex rain suit(top & bottom) and used that for several trips. Used Cabelas lightweight 3/4 length Goretex parka once. Also used my duck hunting jacket on last Nov's. goat hunt, a Browning down ins. Goretex. All worked well; no problems. I had one AK outfitter tell me he did not like Goretex: it did not hold up for him. But, he carried a pack so much that the Goretex wore thru too fast for him. He wore Helly Hansen rubber. Problem was he had to keep it unzipped for ventilation. Otherwise, it sweat too much on the inside. He was always having to dry it out at the end of each day; not always easy to do. If you are doing just an occasional trip to these areas I do not think you need top of the line rain gear. If doing a lot of trips or live there & spend a lot of time in the field then go for quality gear. Also,remember, after a few seasons it may not fit well if you gain a little weight. Then you have to buy new gear. This has been my experience; others may feel differently.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Check out Frogg-Toggs premium goretex (not their treated synthetic paper weight cheapies)

Good value and durability.

I had one set in the motorcycle and a camo set in the back pack, light wt. and space efficient.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Whatever you get make sure it is quiet. Mine is realy a good water tight suit but makes a good amount of noise when I draw a bow. It got me busted once.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Sitka Nimbus suit. Great quality and lightweight.

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote