New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kifaru backpacks?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone using the Kifaru packs? After this falls death march with a big blacktail on a pack never designed for a 150 pound load I am in the market for somthing new. I was looking at the "spike camp" with the cargo shelf. I looked at some other websites and was overwhelmed with all the information on suspension, frame stays etc. If anyone could recommend a pack under $250 I would be interested. I hunt out of a base camp and carry about 30 pounds of gear as a normal load and want the ability to pack out game.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
ToddC,

Bullpac(sp?) Attach a drybag and you're good to go. They have a website.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd C,
I have used an older model Kifaru for several years now and have found it to be first rate and tough. I am often amazed when I get an awkward load (packed out a bull one year) and it handles beautifully. I backpack with Gregory but for odd loads like the Kifaru.
Take care.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd C,

Have you lookid into the Freighter Frame pack? It is only about $80 from Campmoor.com or cabelas. It is an external fram with no pack bag(you can add one at additional cost)For heay loads nothing beats an external frame backpack not to mention you can las all sorts of stuff on the sides and frame. I too backpack a bit and love internal fram packe, but when I hunt I take an old JanSport external frame pack. The other advantage is that externals allow you to walk more upright which makes it easier to breath. Just about any external frame pack of good to excelent quality will cost less than your $250 limit.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd C About 20 years ago I needed a new backpack, the old Boy Scout pack finally bit the dust. I did some research and thought I wanted a Lowe pack. I went to the Backpacking store. The fella who worked there was an experienced backpacker. After trying the Lowe he suggested I try some different brands that might fit me better. The one that fit me the best was a Gregory. I still use it.
I would suggest you go to a speciality backpacking store and "try some on". Put some weight in them and walk around. Most true backpacking stores have "weight" to put in the pack, that is the only way to check out fit is with a load. If you carry a handgun while backpacking take at least your holster with you and see how it fits with the packs belt.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the folks I know who pack out animals any real distance bone them out. Done this way, the meat goes in a heavy duty trash compactor bag and then into any design you like.
I just looked into this again. We had a big discussion over at 24hourcampfire. All the mountaineering crowd has gone to internal frame backs. They handle weight better in off trail situations. The big difference seems to be the suspension system. Heavy loads will break the lighter packs down.
The Kifaru pack you mention is very popular. My hunting partner swears by his. But, several others, have found the internals designed for heavy loads to be better. I like them myself, but haven't tested them yet. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Robin>
posted
I use a Kifaru Long Hauler and find it carries loads of up to 100lbs better than others I have tried. The frame is adjustable and rides well.