New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two centerfire rifles for the world
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that we've been through the discussions of the best rifle for N. America and the best for the world, I suggest we discuss the topic: Suppose you were to pick two centerfire rifles to hunt everything in the world. What would they be?

My vote goes to a .243 or 6mm Rem. plus a .375 H&H. With those two you could hunt everything from prairie dogs to elephant. The 6mm. would work on everything up to about 400 pounds. The .375 would be for everything else.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
1) 270 Weatherby

Yeah a touch much for varmiting, but you can get a 90 grainer to 3800 fps with good accuracy and a 150 Barnes to over 3000, which could handle an Elk/Moose hunt.

2) 416 Rigby

Yeah, I know, you can put any name after the 416 and it works well. But I have just begun to play with the Rigby and it is an accurate cartridge, producing enough power to take anything on planet earth. It is my new budding love affair. Cheap to fire too, (LAUGH), I mean logically you "can not" run enough rounds through it to quickly eat ammo due to its manageable, but heavy recoil.

I'm not much for varmit meat anyway.
--Tony F

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

<Bill>
posted
1. 3006 or 340 Weatherby

2. 416 of some sort

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
.280 Remington and .416 Rigby (or Remington)

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57 and 9.3x62 (both Mauser 98's)

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<45/70 marlin>
posted
270 and 45/70

<PK>
posted
7x64 and 300WM (both Mausers 98)

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
l-n-b

My vote would also be the 280 and 416. I'm surprised to see another 280 person out there. Don't have any guilt by association.

Will

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My personal pick would be a .300 win mag and a .375 H&H. They cover everything from antelope to zebra.
Good Shooting
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Deadmarsh>
posted
1. 30-06 & ,416 Rigby...

<JMeier>
posted
30-06 and 375H&H

<Christer>
posted
My choice would be 6.5x55 and 366IH Magnum mainly because that's what I have : )

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Simple, a 30-06 & 375 H&H... the two greatest, general purpose game rounds.

<Talus>
posted
.223 and .270 Win. If the .270's not big enough, I'll either run or just take photos.

Don't take me too seriously here! Talus

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
My choices would be the .300 H&H and one of the .416's (probably the Remington).

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
A .257 AI built on a FN Mauser 98 Action with a Schelen barrel. For my second choice I would take a Pre '64 Model 70 Winchester in .374 H&H. That pretty much covers everything in the world with the possible exception of elephants but I don't want to hunt thoes anyway.

------------------
When in doubt, empty the magazine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7x64 and 9,3x64

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guys picking the .30-06 and the .375 H&H got it right.
Rich Elliott

------------------
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Christer:
My choice would be 6.5x55 and 366IH Magnum mainly because that's what I have : )

Hmm, another "Umebo" with a .366 IH... The name rings a bell too...

You wouldn't happen to have been at one or two of the "Kv�llscupen" shoots last year, would you? I think we might have met - I'm the tall guy with glasses and an old, yellow VW pickup truck who sprays all over the paper with an old '96 or a Sako .22...

�hm, jag kom just p� hur f�nigt det �r att skriva ett meddelande till en landsman p� utrikiska - men h�ll till godo!

-- Mats B. Johansson (Mariedal)

<Mats>
posted
Well, my first choice would be a 6.5x55. I kinda like the .22 Hornet too.

If it couldn't be killed with either of those cartridges, I don't think I'd want to eat it...

-- Mats

<Christer>
posted
That's correct Mats!
We have met on several shootings and we will probably met this spring as well.
Best wishes Christer Aronsson

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Christer:
That's correct Mats!
We have met on several shootings and we will probably met this spring as well.
Best wishes Christer Aronsson

Amen visst fan! Det �r ju du! Fast jag t�nkte faktiskt p� en annan...

-- Mats

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
.30/06 and .375 H&H sounds about right to me too!

------------------
NRA and GOA Life Member
Do your part to protect our 2nd Amendment rights and preserve our hunting heritage!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
Hey,
does this mean that I have to get rid of my 22.250 and .22 rimfires??

Then make mine a 7mm Rem mag. and a .416 Remington.
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
338 Win. and 416 or 404....but I would cheat and sneak my 7x57 in somewhere, and if I got away with that I go back and get my 9.3x62 and 300 H&H.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
.308Win and .338WinMag

posted Hide Post
300Wby and 416 Rigby.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
257DGR & 416 Taylor

<Patrick>
posted
My vote goes to Mr. H&H. My .300 shoots bullets from 130 to 220 grains well, covering everthing on this continent, and the .375 has done all the rest for nearly 90 years.

<allen day>
posted
I'll choose a .300 Winchester and a .416 Remington.

AD

<sure-shot>
posted
I'll go for a 7mm08 and 338WinMag

<Juneau>
posted
.338 win. & .416 rem. Model 70's of course

one of us
posted Hide Post
First choice:
338 and any 416(Hoffman, Remington, Rigby, or Taylor)
Second choice:
30/06 and 375
Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
A fast 7 mm (Remington or Dakota) and my .340 Wby. I wouldn't waste one of my choices on a buffalo rifle that I may use once or twice, bigbore fan though I am.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Lazzeroni Patriot (.308) and HellCat (.375) will do me just fine.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
My .257 Wby and .358 STA mags. would do just fine. The guy doing the shooting is just as important as the chambering, I would try to measure up with lots of practice. Good Shooting.

------------------

[This message has been edited by phurley (edited 04-10-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
my vote would be for a 25.06 for varmits and deer size game and a 375 ultra mag or 378 weatherby for everything else. yup

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Sako308>
posted
This is too easy: .308 and .375, big game of course and the P-dogs will have to wait for the re-invention of varmint rifle.

<Mark>
posted
My head says 30-06/375 H&H
My heart says 8X57 mauser and 8mm Remington
I know I'm going light on the rem (some would choose it as the North American rifle)

------------------
Kluane Mountaineering Ltd
http://www.kluane.ab.ca

<'Trapper'>
posted
I'm going to vote with some others here: 30-06 and 375 H&H
Now someone always has to come along and mess things up, so here I go again. Along with those two, I will want a good handy autoloading rifle (Can you say 10-22) and a long-barreled autoloading pistol (as my old Hi-Standard) both chambered for the 22LR rimfire. Where and how could anyone improve on this battery? Well, now as for a shotgun....but I'll shut up for now.
Shoot straight, shoot safe and shoot a lot!
Regards,

------------------
'Trapper'