New
Find
Notify
Tools

37 defensive pistol uses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All 37 are listed at the link with a short narrative. If you know of others it would be nice to hear about them.

At least one new one was posted at ammo land that would make 38 documented cases.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/...ncidents-by-caliber/

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/...liber/#ixzz57zQLWZMP
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

On the Internet, and in print, many people claim that pistols lack efficacy in defending against bear attacks. Here is an example that occurred on freerepublic.com:

“Actually, there are legions of people who have been badly mauled after using a handgun on a bear. Even some of the vaunted magnums.”

OK, give us a few examples. As you claim “legions”, it should not be too hard.

I never received a response. I believe the claim was made in good faith. There has been much conjecture about the lack of efficacy of pistols for defense against bears. A little searching will find a plethora of fantasy, fiction, mythology, and electrons sprayed about the supposed lack.

I engaged in a search for instances where pistols were used to defend against bears. I and my associates have found 37 instances that are fairly easily confirmed

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
So, after reading this, I see 97% of the time, any handgun used in the study works. Why are people advocating bear spray? Several instances in this report show it is not always effective or minimally effective.
Maybe I dont understand ,but if an animal threatens me harm and I am armed. I am going to shoot it until dead or I run out of ammo. I dont care if its a bear , pig, wolf or dog.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
So, after reading this, I see 97% of the time, any handgun used in the study works. Why are people advocating bear spray? Several instances in this report show it is not always effective or minimally effective.
Maybe I dont understand ,but if an animal threatens me harm and I am armed. I am going to shoot it until dead or I run out of ammo. I dont care if its a bear , pig, wolf or dog.

+1 tu2

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why are people advocating bear spray?

To save bears.

Well a lot of the people that advocate spray are anti gun, anti hunting and bear spray manufactures.

Saving a bear is far more important to these people then saving a person. To a lot of them they think we are over populated with people and do not have enough bears.

It made sense when one could not carry a firearm in national parks. At least it was something that was better then nothing.

Spray has it's place it is a great harassment tool when a bear is nosing around where it should not be.

Spray is better then nothing if one is not comfortable with carrying or using a firearm.

I have can around just another tool in the arsenal. Killing a bear in DLP shooting is a real PITA.

Like any other self-defensive shooting it is best to avoid.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to save a bear,in my freezer. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I would like to save a bear,in my freezer. Big Grin

I agree a lot of bears are very good to eat.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I can't say, in effect, that I disagree with those who claim there are far to many people and not enough bears. That said, I will treat an aggressive bear the same as a violent criminal. We should encourage all those anti-gun snowflakes to go hike in bear country wearing bacon flavored sunscreen and carrying bear spray to test the courage of their convictions!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote