New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sling preferences
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure where to post this question.......

What should I look for in a quality sling. Its going on a Remington mdl 700. Caliber is 308. What is everyones preference? What do you look for? I prefer one who's swivels don't touch the wood stock. Leather vs. synthetic? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Posts: 70 | Location: N. Utah | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Bianchi leather sling for years. Things to watch for include, but not limited to...how it appeals to you, quality of leather (if you decide on a leather sling), how the QD swivels are held in place on the sling, will it slip and slide when carrying said rifle in the slung position, can it be utilized as a support to steady your aim.

My Bianchi is used on all my rifles except one 22 semi-auto with a tupperware stock. I broke down and put a nylon sling on that one. It works, but I have issues with it.

Just my two cents worth...

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi teesh,
I bought a varmint barrelled .308 a few years ago, and wanted a comfortable sling for carrying this heavy rifle all day(should have bought a lighter rifle, but that"s another story!). I found a soft neoprene sling made by a German company, can"t just remember the name,
but it actually flexes/stretched slightly as you walk and is so comfortable. In hot weather it"s comfortable when your wearing a light shirt, where hard leather might not be(ok, call me a pansy!)
I was so pleased with the neoprene that i bought another one for my 243. As for swivels, i"d recommend any quick detatchable type, but wrap them with tape which will protect your wood, keep them quiet and stop them from loosening and possibly letting your gun fall off your shoulder.
hope this helps.
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that the wide slings, such as the cobra style, slide off my shoulder. I use the traditional two part US military sling, I think Model 1907, or the Latigo, which is almost instantly adjustable. Available at Brownells. It's very high quality.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I now use nothing but a sling made by Uncle Mike's. They call it a Mountain Sling. It is nylon and has their super swivels permanently attatched. It has a non slip lining and is easy to adjust. I have several, some in black, some in brown, a even some in Mossey Oak Treestand camo.

I really like them better than any other slings I have tried. I gave up on the old "cobra" type of leather slings long ago. They tend to slip off your shoulder when you are dragging game and you could not adjust the length of the darned thing. I also found that they tended to swing under the rifle when shooting offhand, really did not like that.

Just my opinion, but my dad uses nothing else these days, either.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use nothing but neoprene slings.They don't slide around,and the give makes the gun feel lighter.After a day of sheep hunting the difference is noticeable.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teesh
Vero Vellini Slings are Hands Down the best.. I've had mine for 3 yrs now From AK to BC to Scotland and if the Rifle is on the heavy side it's even better to Ya..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Whelen slings - they offer the same options to shoot with sling support as the military 2-piece slings do, yet are a bit easier to deal with in the field.

I have used this model for a number of years, and have found the quality to be first rate, in spite of the modest price:

Hunter Whelen Sling

The slings work best if you take the time to make the leather supple (wax) before you start using it.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use the Butler Creed neoprene slings but I don't shoot off-hand at game. If I were to shoot off-hand I'd want a sling with little to no stretch. The Butler Creed slings make my rifles seem lighter.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you intend on walking a bit w/ the rifle and want a very comfortable sling, Butler Creek slings are hard to beat.

If you want it to be purty, get a nice leather sling.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My most hunted hunting rifles wear an adjustable military style sling. If you ever learned how to shoot with a sling to aid you you will never use any other kind of sling. Also the wide padded comfy looking slings walk off of my shoulder and I hate that cuz I hunt some rough stuff where I sometimes need both hands for climbing and have a daypack on too.
Just my 2 cents but these work for me. Nylon slings are too slippery, the ones with neoprene grip well but soak up water like a sponge and soak your shoulder.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Butler Creek synthetic stretchy sling for years. The give when the sling stretchs reduces the perceived load by half. Years ago you could ride a 4-wheeler with your rifle slung over you back (unloaded), in Colorado. I discovered that the Butler Creek saved my back from the hard sore spot that my beautiful leather personalized Cobra sling gave me while riding 8 miles up my mountain to my hunting spot. Since then the Cobra is in the safe looking good and the camo Butler Creek does all the work. wave thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Depends on whether you're looking for a carry strap or a shooting sling. Carry straps can be made more comfortable with padding and such, whereas shooting slings, which are primarily designed to provide shooting support for more stability and accuracy, generally cannot be padded as much as carry straps.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R Flowers:
I now use nothing but a sling made by Uncle Mike's. They call it a Mountain Sling. It is nylon and has their super swivels permanently attatched. It has a non slip lining and is easy to adjust.

Ditto! thumb Awesome sling and pretty cheap too.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey teesh, I've tried a bunch of slings over the years from a piece of rope tied to a Red Rider BB gun to the latest and greatest. It appears you are getting a lot of excellent input from all the users which will probably confuse you even more.

I'd offer that the best Sling for a specific individual takes awhile for a person to decide on. I've got both Leather and Synthetic and each one is useful.

I prefer the Hasty Sling style of use for my hunting and have no use at all for a "third" sling stud on a firearm as the Ching Sling requires. But for those folks who like them, I'm glad they are available.
---

If forced to only one sling, I'd use an Uncle Mike's Synthetic in Black. When set up for use in the Hasty Style, it allows you to get into a rock solid position "quicker" and easier than ANY other sling on the market.

However, the advantage of the Synthetic being "slick" and fast to acquire the Hasty position can also be a negative "IF" it is not adjusted properly. Because of the "slickness", it can easily move around on your arm and create a too loose condition. With proper adjustment though(about 2 minutes of trial and error adjustment), you can get into it very fast and it is a very solid position. And the only reason to reposition the Shooting Position adjustment is if you desire to carry the rifle "across" your back.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Latigo Sling

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Slingster suggests first you must decide if you are looking for a carry strap or a shooting aid. I've used military slings, CW, and the Ching Sling. On rifles setup for shooting with a sling I much prefer the Eric's design. For a carry strap the Uncle Mikes black synthetic job with the patch of sticky rubber is everything you need, nothing you don't, and affordable to boot.

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
...I've used military slings, CW, and the Ching Sling. On rifles setup for shooting with a sling I much prefer the Eric's design...

Always good to hear from a satisfied user of my original Ching Sling; thanks! Have you tried my Safari Ching Sling yet? It was designed to eliminate the middle stud that many don't want to install, and be more comfortable for heavy rifles with its 2" width, while still providing solid shooting support.

---
Eric Ching

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried my Safari Ching Sling yet? It was designed to eliminate the middle stud that many don't want to install, and be more comfortable for heavy rifles with its 2" width, while still providing solid shooting support.
I've handled a rifle wearing one but have yet to try it at the range. If I decide to set up my M70 Classic Safari Express 375 H&H for shooting with a tight sling (free float the barrel and install a front sling swivel on the foreend instead of the barrel) it will be my first choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eric- Would the Safari Ching Sling permit the user to sling the rifle over his back to permit carry like a biathalon style sling. I've been looking for that style set-up for some time. Want to put it on an ultralight rifle for when I get the urge to go to the top of the mountain. Would make climbing a lot easier when your rifle doesn't have the tendency to come un-slung when climbing.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Eric- Would the Safari Ching Sling permit the user to sling the rifle over his back to permit carry like a biathalon style sling.

Pegleg:

Yes, indeed it does in a fashion. Depending on how bulky your attire is, you can either disconnect (or not) one side of the elbow loop, shoulder the rifle like normal, then pull the inside main strap over your head so that your head ends up between the two main straps.

The true biathalon rig carries the rifle fully vertical and centered on your back, whereas the Safari Ching Sling carries it slightly diagonally across your back with the muzzle to your support side and the buttstock to your shooting side. In some situations it might have an advantage over having the barrel directly behind your head, I think.

---
Eric Ching

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the safari sling and can say it is first rate product. Works fine as a carry sling. Works excellent as a shooting sling. I never knew I could shot as good as I do until I started using this sling. Only complaint I have is the color. A black version would go much better with a stainless synthetic rifle Smiler

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
I have used the safari sling and can say it is first rate product. Works fine as a carry sling. Works excellent as a shooting sling. I never knew I could shot as good as I do until I started using this sling. Only complaint I have is the color. A black version would go much better with a stainless synthetic rifle Smiler

Mike7mm08:
Galco does make a black version of the Safari Ching Sling, so just buy one. You must have a rifle on which the brown version color-coordinates, right?

---
Eric Ching

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that is news to me. When I bought the sling they only offered brown. And yes I do have several rifles that the brown sling goes with. So it look like I am heading to the galco website to buy another toy. So glad you brought this to my attention.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
My pleasure to serve you. Enjoy!

---
Eric Ching

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Call Dick Murray at Murray Custom Leather great sling hand made in the USA with one handed adjustment

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote