Find
Notify
Tools

SNOW!!! now with a few pics
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Well, I'm sure most have you have seen or heard the news about Ohio's big snow.

WE GOT HIT BIG TIME!

I stuck a yard stick in my front lawn today. 16" of snow.

Several southwest counties here in Ohio were declared a catagorie 3 winter storm advisory. First I've ever heard of anything like this and I've been in the midwest since 1995.

Basically the news said that if law enforcement so chooses, you can get a ticket and or go to jail if caught driving today and it wasn't an emergency.

Needless to say, I went out a drove a bunch today in the 4 wheel drive truck just for fun. Hunted this afternoon in even deeper wind drift snow but didn't see anything.

Our temp is supposed to be 1 tonight and -5 tomorrow. Wonder what the wind chill will be?

I'll be hunting tomorrow for sure.

Bought my first snow blower tonight too. Screw that shoveling crap. Ordered it from Sears last night and the truck delivered 50 at 5pm. I think all 50 of us were there at the same time

I drove straight to the gas station, filled it up, brought it home and went to work. I was done in about 15 minutes! usually about a 1 hour job minimum with a shovel.

I thought one of the guys at Sears was going to start something. He showed up to buy a snowblower too, but he didn't prepay for his on the phone. He told the salesclerk he'd take a chance and just show up when the truck did. I paid for mine last night with a CC over the phone.

Well, apparently there were about 6 left that weren't already prepaid for. This guy was right in front of me. He was told, "sorry sir, we just sold out."

HE WAS PISSED. PISSED PISSED PISSED. USE YOUR IMAGINATION. But then I rolled up to the register and said I was there to pick one up too. The guy thought that I hadn't paid for mine and started to raise his voice to me and the clerk.

I said calmly that I paid for mine the night before and to get off my case. The clerk told him that it was HIM that the guy talked to and he was urged to prepay but chose not too. The guy was just too ticked to listen to reason.

He looked at me but was talking to the clerk and said, "Oh, you'll sell him one but not me." I am one to always try and solve things amicably (sp?), but this guy was basically being a ASSHOLE.

So, I just told him that he basically screwed himself and that he has no one to blame but himself...which didn't go over well.

He kept standing around causing a scene. I just looked at him as I walked over to MERCHANDISE PICKUP, and said, "well, you have fun with that shovel."

You had to be there but this idiot really acted like the whole thing was MY fault and that I got HIS snowblower.

What the hell is wrong with some people?

Oh well, it doesn't matter. I took it home and I'm very happy with it!

Sorry this wasn't actually about 'big game hunting.' But I just had to tell everyone about my new toy. I feel like Tim Taylor on HOME IMPROVEMENT.

I didn't know I looked so well rounded from the side. Here's me in action and my kids the next day. You can see about how deep the snow is on the sidewalk:

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I don't know how you guys deal with that stuff! It gets cold here about every three years and my one extended stay in snow (3 weeks) was a real pain.
That snow blower got a HEMI?

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
No, but now that you mention it, I'll put one in!

I will say this: It sure threw that snow out there...about 25 feet.

It's a 5 horse Craftsman...LOVE it.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Lucky buggers, all we got was -15.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm gonna be quiet about this one too.
Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Where are you in OH, I hadn't heard about any snow except for some around cincy, but not near that much. I know it is damn cold here in Gallia county, but we haven't got any snow to speak of yet. Ain't it fun getting new toys er I uh mean tools. Have fun with the snow blower!!!

gabe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, we got snow down here in Memphis!

Of course, it snowed on Wed, then the sun came out yesterday to soften it up a little, then yesterday right before dark, it all froze over again hard, leaving a nice layer of ice on top. That's worse than anything.

It's something like 14 outside right now. I'm originally from PA, so I'm fine with it. But these "locals" are dying!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, How come you didn't offer to go over and clear the guys drive for him? Just tell him to stand outside and wait so you could be sure you were at the right place.

Interesting mix where I'm at. Started off with sleet, went to snow and back to sleet. Ended up with 10" here. But the interesting thing about it to me is how "supportive" it is. I'm a fairly good size fellow who buys clothes in the mans dept., or a few biscuits either side of 300#. Walked out on this stuff in my boots and didn't sink in. I kept expecting it to let go, but it didn't.

Got some mail that should have gone to a neighbor, so I decided to walk it over to his box. Apparently the Highway guys were scraping fast enough that the "Point of Impact Velocity" of the snow coming off their blade destroyed his mail box. I eventually found it under a large drift(where I did sink in).

I sure miss the Carolinas and look forward to the day I can go back. How you guys in Alaska, out West and those of you in YANKEE Land ever get used to this mess amazes me.

Best of luck on the hunt Doc. Maybe you can use that snow blower to cut some Deer Trails.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't have anything to add being from a bit north of you. A carpenter buddy and myself, during an unusually "lean" winter, were going to put a snowblower in the back of my pick-up and drive south till someone asked just what "it" was. We thought then we would be far enough south. Merry Christmas. Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if your tired of the snow send that storm up here to ny so i have some plowing to do We at the state are looking for some snow to plow but we only get up to 4 inches in a shower at a time and by the way pulaski ny holds the north american continent record for the most snowfall in a 12 hr period.They beat alaska,canada so send it to us we will enjoy it

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is much the same all across southern Indiana. I live in exteme southwest Indiana 30 miles north of Evansville. We got some where between 16 and 20". Kind of hard to measure for sure. But it was a lot of snow. I want to go coyote hunting but most of roads through the Wabash river bottoms orth of my house are drifted shut. I got a 4 wheel drive pick up and there is no way it will get through the drifts to get where I want to go. Since no body lives in those bottoms those roads won't be opened up till it warms and melts.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I live in Monroe, OH, off Interstate 75 between Dayton and Cincinnati.

This whole southwestern stretch got plenty of snow.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
(yawn!), here in Michigan when it snows, we act like we've seen it before. We don't call out the National Guard either. The real blessing of this snow in Ohio is now you all can snowmobile all over your own state! My relatives in Ohio won't be calling me up wanting to come up and snowmobile, (read drink my beer).

Now go to work getting better deer hunting there too, so our public land areas on opening day don't look like Buckeye Stadium parking lots on game day.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Quote:

No, but now that you mention it, I'll put one in!

Instead of a hemi try a fuel injected small block.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is that white stuff? I know them is kids and the big guy in camo is you, but that white yucky stuff!!!

It's been so long here I forget what it is. We did get some in the high country and -0 temps until today but no snow here in town .

Nice family Doc ! "Merry Christmas"

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Same to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, Don't forget the "morel hunters from the buckeye state" We need to find a way to grow them in Ohio so those of us who don't take two weeks off in May to go mushroom hunting, can actually find some on the weekends. When I drive thru the woods checking my favorite spots all I see is Ohio and Indiana license plates. Maybe the snow there will help the Ohio mushroom crop. Merry Christmas, even the Buckeyes. Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Here's one you guys won't believe. Right now as I look out my window it is snowing, in Houston, Tx. Go figure.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
We got snow down in Brownsville, Texas. We are as about far south as you can go and still be in Texas. I have lived in South Texas for 35 years and the half inch or so is THE most I have ever seen!!! We should hit 50 degrees today and it will be gone. Imagine that, a white Christmas in this part of the world.
Jeff in Texas

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's 0700 in Raceland, La. the temp. is 31 deg. Sleet and light snow. Screw this!!!!!

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way, I'm originally from Oklahoma, so this doesn't bother me as far as driving but these coon asses ain't got a clue about driving on ice or snow.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it's a xmas present for all the people that leave the north to go south for the winter.We didn't want them to miss it

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
I would love to show you guys pictures of the snow we got here, i can see just the rooftop on the neighbours house!!!
Tree days ago there was only few inches of snow, then we got an healthy blizzard with endless amount of snow coming down and now we measure it in meters

regards Ben
Iceland (snowland)

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic just taken outside my house

Here is one of how it is normally

A bit of a snow eh?

regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako, now that is a proper blizzard! How often do snow storms of that proportion happen often in Iceland? I don't mind snow, but you keep the ones like that.

RiveRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Woo hoo. I'm not sure what I'd do in a snow like that. You keep those amounts to yourself.

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sako, now that is a proper blizzard! How often do snow storms of that proportion happen often in Iceland? I don't mind snow, but you keep the ones like that.

Hehe we get a few blizzards like that each winter but this one was nothing abnormal!

Here is another pic down the street where i live, there are 4 houses on the right side of the street but you only see the roof on two or three of them.

This is a pic of our old Land Cruser long body on 33" tiers,
taken on a higland road in the west part of the country.
It looks like a toy car up to the 7-8 meter snow cliff!

Regards Ben
Iceland

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Why on earth do you want to live there?!!

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Why on earth do you want to live there?!!

Good question
Seriously most of the time we have no snow and often not more than few inches but it sure can snow here from time to time!

Regards

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Rooster and Perforator,

Somebody pissed in Mother Nature's Cheerios, huh?... it ain't suppose to be this cold in Southern Louisiana!

Sleet in New Orleans- this town will shut down until "Shantisha" and her baby's daddy "Jafwanza" learn how to get around in the white stuff.

Merry Christmas to all!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Minnesotan living in Kentucky. I tell the natives about a 22" snowfall on Halloween and the kids were out trick or treating (the outfits go OVER the snowsuits) and then 16" again two weeks later. THe Metrodome fell in both times. I'm not to be believed, of course.

We had some ice in Lexington area a few days ago and of course everyone had a conniption. Here's a letter I sent to MN. (I have to be careful saying things like this out loud)

A little ice in KY does wonders to thin out the heart attack prone weather pansy's- the thought and esp. sight of weather kills them.

Rachael and I didn't get a chance to go to Walmart last night for the entertainment. People show up at the grocery stores here when the weather is suspect and empty out thirty feet of bottled water, all the milk and all the toilet paper. They steal things out of each other carts in case the shelves are empty before they can get across the store and snatch the stuff they may need after the third week without utilities. The floors are so full of stuff swept off the shelves the carts can't climb over the piles to get through the aisles so one leaves the cart at the aisle's end, walks down the aisle and gets whatever one needs. By the time you turn around half the stuff in your cart is stolen. THat is why one must bring a friend (below)along to guard the cart.

(I included two photos but don't know how to attach them here but you get the idea)

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm with you. Having lived and raised in the south, I remember they'd close ALL the schools, etc. if so much as a snowflake fell from the sky. It was nuts. They don't use salt on the roads, rather, they use sand.

I spent 5 winters in Iowa. I learned real quick what 'wind chill' and 'snow drift' was real quick.

We had plenty of snow there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gezzz Sako, and I thought the blizzard of 1978 was bad. Compared to what you guys get the blizzard of 78 was just snow flurries. No wonder they call it Iceland. Seriously how do animals survive up there? How long does a blizzard like that last before it quits snowing?

RiverRat

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Seriously how do animals survive up there?

Tough weather tough animals tough people
Seriously the animals are well equipped for the climate with thick fur or feathers and thick layers of fat (some people here too ) like the seals!
Iceland is not so harsh compared to Greenland (stupid name for that glacier) Svalbard or the pole it self!

Quote:

How long does a blizzard like that last before it quits snowing?

The last one was for three and a half day but normally they last for one or two days but they can be on and off for a loooong time!

Regards Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
nelsonted:
You are 100% correct about the feeding spree that humans go on when the first flake starts falling. It can sure be amusing and entertaining if you go in the proper frame of mind. It is the same way here in southwest Indiana. After the snow finally quit falling about 6:00 AM Thursday there was hardly anyone out and about. I was out taking the daughter to work and I had the roads to myself. Basically everything was shut down and they had declared a state of emergency and threaten to arrest anyone who they caught out. So the next day, Christmas eve, the wife sent me to the store to get some things to make a dessert for Christmas dinner. I couldn't find a parking spot in the grocery store parking lot, so I parked in the McDonalds parking lot and walked to the store. I walked in the store and there were no carts to be had. They had sold out of milk, bread, eggs, you name it. It was funny. One lady was pushing around a cart that the store has for kids. It has a little car attached to it for the kids to ride in and the car was empty. I asked her if she had lost her kids. She gave me a dirty look and kept on going. I got the two items I went there for and the lines at the check out isles were lined up nearly the entire length of the store. Actually I didn't mind the wait, the scenery in the store was VERY good.

sako:
What kind of animals do you have to hunt in Iceland? Reindeer I assume and what else. When does the hunting seasons start there?

RiverRat

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
RiverRat.
The season for Reindeer starts sometime in august i think,
Seals you can hunt all year around but not near breeding colonys.
Foxes you can hunt all year but only special govermental hunters can hunt Foxholes, lairs, dens not sure about the english word for it.
Birds have alot of diffrent seasons from species to species!

Hope this says something.

Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako, it sounds like you have quite a bit of variety of hunting in Iceland. The seal hunt is different. How do you hunt seals? What caliber makes a good seal rifle? What do you do with a seal once you have shot it? Eat it, sell the pelt/skin? That is interesting.

RiverRat

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Seals are hunted both from land and sea but we hunt them only from land with rifles!
Most shots are from 50-200 meters in calibers from .222rem to 300wm or bigger depending on the sise and species of seal.
The harbour seal is pretty small with biggest one up to 6-7 feet long and 330-350lbs. You can use small cals like .222 rem for head shots on these seals.
The grey seal, hooded seal and bearded seal are the biggest species of seal and can be up to 10feet long and 900 pounds so its better to have a good medium bore rifles on those, 6,5mm, 7mm and .30cal are good, i use 300 win mag for heart/lung shots or neck shots and have never lost any!

Quote:

What do you do with a seal once you have shot it? Eat it, sell the pelt/skin?

The meat is pretty good on a young seal and the pelts are great but there is not much money for it but i dont care,
for me its just for fun and expirience not money!

The best thing is you can shoot as many as you like all year around and dont have to pay anything for it!

Regards Ben
Iceland