THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: AccuBond, Partition Penetration Test Results

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: AccuBond, Partition Penetration Test Results
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Looks like you shoot against the grain rather than with?

I've never done it with the grain. When comparing bullets' penetration relative to one another, I want to use the same pieces of wood and you can fit more shots on a piece this way.

I don't know how different the results would be...maybe I'll try that next time.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the tests Jon... Very interesting to see how well those bonded core bullets clung to the jacket as they should. Wood is a tough medium to use and I'm sure would show a bullet's weakness if it had any. The Partition held together well of course as usual...

Excellent photography by the way... Close-ups like that can be tricky.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

From left to right:

308 Cal 200 AB, 3170 fps: Penetration 11". Retained weight 133.6, 67%
338 Cal 225 AB, 3100 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 145.2, 65%
375 Cal 260 AB, 2700 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 203.6, 78%
375 Cal 260 PT, 2700 fps: Penetration 10". Retained weight 219.0, 84%

It was nothing too scientific, but I thought some might enjoy seeing the results. The medium was firewood:

Over the years I've found it to give results very close to what one can expect on game (depending upon where you hit the game, of course--no medium contains all the variables a big game animal does). This wood was greener and wetter (and of course, frozen) than what I've usually used in the past and penetration was about 35% less compared with past tests with the 200 & 225 which I've tested quite a bit. I feel it was a pretty tough test at full muzzle velocity.

Of note, the 260 Partition was the only bullet that failed to exit the first log:

The 200 AccuBond exited the first but bounced off the second. Both the 225 AB and 260 AB made it 1" into the second log.

All outstanding bullets IMHO. Sorry, I haven't recovered any of these bullets from game yet. Maybe someday I will, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting these, Jon.

Looks like you shoot against the grain rather than with? Would with the grain give more accurate results, as you wouldn't have to worry about diameter? Never tried either, just thinking...

Again, thanks for posting. I for one am interested in this sort of test--fun to see the results.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
I shot a 180 grain accubond into some dry phone books at a stepped off 200 yards(probably more like 185-190)out of a .300 RUM. Muzzle velocity about 3250. Bullet went through five 2 inch thick phone books before hitting the tree behind them and falling to the ground. It weighed 112 grains or 62% of original weight. Looked exactly like the pictures posted above.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote