New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Dilema: 140g or 160g in .284
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, so i have 2 7mags. One is a 7wsm the other is a Ultra Mag. going to start working up loads. Should i do a 140g accubond load for deer/antelope in each rifle then a 160g tsx or partition for elk and bigger critters. The ultra is my beanfield setup so it will probably just see 140g bullets. but ive already taken the wsm on an elk hunt and plan to do it again, and i use it deer hunting. so for it go 140 accubond for deer then a 160 tsx/part. for bigger stuff or just use a 140g tsx for everything

decisions decisions decisions

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have a .280 & 7mm Dakota. For me the only reason to carry the heavier rifle is to shoot heavier bullets faster than I can in my lt.wt. .280. Get a good 160gr load worked up & go hunt everything. I've use the 160grNP for antelope, Tahr, deer & elk, everything went bang/slop. I practice w/ 160gr Speer, same poi. Check the drop tables, there is little diff. in drop btwn. the 140gr & 160gr out to 500yds. Happy hunting. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The idea of the 140's for deer is a sound one. I've never found any deer particularly tough to kill.

The 160's are a great choice in the Ultra mag. I've used 150 NP's as a universal .280/.280 AI slug and they have worked well on deer,elk and antelope in RSA.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Shoot One,

Just thought you may want to know this. Our local gunshop told me the day before yesterday that Remington is phasing out Rifles and ammo chambered for 7mm Ultra Mag. I don't suppose brass would be hard to form from 300 Ultra, but in case you don't want to bother with forming, you may want to stock up on brass. Said Remington rep told him of this news, saying that sales were way down for that caliber. Urban rumor? I don't know. If it is a lie, that rep told it to that gunshop.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
doesnt surprise me hank, currently they are only making 1 factory load. ive got 200 pieces of brass on the way so i should be set forever. or at least till i burn the barrel out

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Shootone-

I just had some field experience with the 140 gr Accubond in the 7mm WSM. If you search back a few days on my post from my Antelope hunting trip there's a picture of a small doe antelope shot with the 140 Accubond. The bullet blew up on the outside of the animal with very little penetration. If you want to use a 140 in the fast 7's, I'd go with a TSX or Partition.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
ShootOne,

The problem w/ the Short Mag is you can't efficiently use long bullets and bullets like the 160 AB and 160 TX in .284" are really long and they'll seat deep into the case. Those long bullets will work in the Ultra but, I think you'll be disappointed w/ the velocity of them in the WSM.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
i would split the middle. Barnes has the tsx in 150grn w/an excellent B.C. and S.D if these bullets are as good on game as everyone is testifying the wahlaa.

BH

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would work up a load with 160's and use it on everything. I would suggest the 160 Nosler Partition over the Grand Slam however. The Grand Slam is a bit tough for antelope and you have to be sure to shoot for the exit hole if you use them on antelope.
Or you could use the 160 Speer Hot Cores on mulies and antelope and the 160 Speer Grand Slams on elk.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion and my practice is to work up a heavy bullet load in tbe larger magnum and a lighter bullet load in the smaller cartridge.

Then use the large cartridge for long range and heavy game. And use the lighter cartridge for deer at normal ranges.

According to the Hornady manual #6, the 7wsm can produce 3300 fps with the 140 gr bullet and the 7UM can produce 3300 fps with the 160 gr bullet.

By loading in this manner, one can achieve nearly identical trajectories in the two cartridges. This avoids the hassle of trying to remember which load one is using in the heat of the moment of a game shot.

I load to achieve this with my game rifles, 160 gr spitzer bt in the 7mmSTW for heavier game, 140 gr spitzer bt in the 264 win mag, and a 120 gr balistic tip in the 260 Rem for light game like mule deer at ranges inside 300 yds.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 140gr tsx willdo a fine job on game from deer to moose to elk.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote