Find
Notify
Tools

Chincoteague Sika Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody out there with any experience.

For some reason, ever since I was a teen-ager, I've been fascinated by the notion of MD/VA sika, but never got around to giving them a try. Now I'm sitting here with the permit application in front of me, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth doing, or whether I should be planning on another routine whitetail season. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has participated in the Chincoteague hunt, and what their thoughts were.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jffrybrght
posted Hide Post
White Eagle, although I've never hunted the Sika in Chincoteague, My wife and I camp there every year for a week in October, right on the bay across from Assateque, which is where the deer are. And I'm not talking just Sika as there are a ton of whitetail as well. Every evening at dusk, you are allowed to drive a 2+ mile loop to see the wildlife and we always see alot of both types. The whitetails are all over the island as you can walk the beach and find tracks. The bucks are large (cause they are protected), and this year I plan to spend a day shed hunting. I'll need a full mosquito suit for this, cause the bloodsuckers are everywhere. If you decide on this hunt, you should have an exciting time. When are the hunt dates scheduled? I'll be camping at Maddux's from 10/4 to 10/12.
Jeff

Posts: 411 | Location: Ephrata, PA, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jffrybrght--

There are a number of hunts scheduled for this season. Your stay will straddle the first archery period, which is 10/6-8. There will be a second archery 10/20-22.

Gun is 12/8-9 and 12/11-12 (these are combination whitetail/sika), 12/15-16, 12/18-19, and 1/5-6, 1/8-9, 1/12-13, 1/15-16 and 1/19-20.

Thanks for the reply--sounds like I'm going to mail in the application.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU CAN HUNT WITH A RIFLE HERE? I though this area was archery only. Where do I get the application . . . beats flying to Ireland to get a sika I think.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rules in the Virginia portion of the National Seashore, but the part in Maryland I have hunted with archery. They only allow muzzleloaders and shotguns on the Maryland side. Here is a link to the hunting regulations:

http://www.nps.gov/asis/hunting.htm#Deer%20and%20Upland%20Game%20Regulations

If you are still interested in a rifle sika hunt, check out Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, (in the Cambridge, Maryland area) and the areas surrounding it. There are several guide services that are very reasonable.

Posts: 16 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will have a great time, although I have not hunted it before I have many friends that do every year and they are always successful. I have been visiting Assateague since I was a kid and I love it. I am looking at moving to Berlin, MD in the near future which is just down the road from there.

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have hunted there 3 times and taken nice Sika's each time, it is a bit time consuming, as you are required to show up before the season for a hunters brief, you are not allowed to drive all over either, the rifle draws go quick , and their seems to be more archey draws, of course if you have time to kill you can show up each day and wait to see if a slot opens, either way their great hunts ,its a great place to see

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John--

You can get an application by writing to the Refuge Manager, attn: Hunt Coordinator, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, P.O. Box 62, Chincoteague, VA 23336-0062.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't tell you much about the Virginia regulations for Sika deer but I have hunted in Dorchester County Maryland a lot. (My friend has a guide service out of Cambridge.) They are harder to hunt than whitetails but also more fun. They make more noise crashing throught the water and bugling.
Here are some general hints. Best time is the early muzzleloader for Maryland. That is usually in the middle of their rut. Second, bring along a lot of bug protection, spray, suits, earplugs (the buzzing will drive you nuts). The bugs are horrible out in the marsh, which is where the deer live and bed. Sika deer are also smaller than whitetails and can have spots even when full grown. They don't smell as well as whitetails but will still pick you up if your in the forrest versus swamp. They will pick you out of a tree in a heartbeat so watch your silouette (sp?)and keep still. When they are young Bald Eagles will prey on them so they are constantly looking up. Finally, get a pair of cheap hip boots. If you hunt them right you'll need them to get where the deer are and will probably tear them on something.
If you want to know anything else let me know. Might not know the answer but I can try. Good luck.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote