New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Idaho Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, we had a great hunt.... But no black bears.
There were 4 hunters in camp. 2 of my friends that I work with, Mighty Joes wife, and my self.
The fires moved us from the outfitters regular area to another area near by. This new area looked very good, but we did not see any bears.
We still had a great time.
I hunted Grouse 2 different mornings with my Blaser R 93 with the 28 guage bbl. I shot the only Grouse I saw.
Mighty Joes wife "A" saved the day when she shot 4 grouse with her 357 Mag "Lady Smith" [a very nice revolver, by the way]. She shot them with regular ammo, not shot shells, and did not damage any meat. Good Job thumb
Last night of the hunt we had fried grouse, very very good.
The outfitters we used are "Stitch" and Joannie of Elk City Adventures.
They run a very good camp, and are very nice folks.
We are already planning hunts next June and Next Sept.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I returned on the 5th from Idaho doing a black bear hunt also. I shot a 6 foot 9 inch bear measured nose to tail after skinning and laid out -- not stretched. My hunting partner took a 6 foot 7 inch bear measured the same way. I saw 42 bears in a 5 day hunt---one an 8 footer.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry you didn't get one, 450. Next time!

Congratulations on your very nice bear, Buckeye! Where were you hunting?

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Sorry you didn't score this time.I just got back from the "Elk City Area" a couple ours ago from 6-days of scouting for Elk..Rough Country!!

Well worth it though!!

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buckeye, did you go with a guide or was it a do it yourself hunt? thats alot of bears sounds like a good time.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
when she shot 4 grouse with her 357 Mag "Lady Smith" [a very nice

Tony, regular ammo? Hell, she was shooting .357 mag, 180 grain Winchester Supreme Nosler partition bear medicine at those damn grouse. In a 3" revolver!

She comes home and tells me she shot $ 50 of bear medicine at grouse! Although, she did say they tasted good. Now, she thinks that is how you hunt grouse! She thinks that is the bomb!

I tell you if she saw a bear, it was dead meat walking. She is good.

Tony, thank you for looking after my girl. She's special and I know it.

I thought you had some photo's to post????

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Boulder Creek outfitters out of the Whitebird Lodge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunted with Boulder Creek outfitters out of the Whitebird Lodge

Thanks, Buckeye. Yep, that is mighty fine country up there around White Bird. Also have heard some good things about those outfitters.

Show us some pictures if you have them. Always like to see them.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some photos but do not know how to post them. I would be happy to e-mail them to you if you wish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe
The Grouse were worth every penny of 357 ammo, there were very good. She did great, the 4 grouse were cleanly shot, not "blown up".
Check Ya'll's schedule and see if ya'll can do a hunt in June 2006 on the next to the last week.
Hope to see the two of you at the DSC in Jan.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check Ya'll's schedule and see if ya'll can do a hunt in June 2006 on the next to the last week.

I have already booked our room in Dallas. I'll think about June. Was thinking a combo hunt in the fall to do bear and either deer or elk as both A' & I saw mule deer while bear hunting.

We can discuss at the Dallas show.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ARhunter42019
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you didn't get a bear, but hey, atleast it sounds like you had fun.. Big Grin

The chainsaw says: Run Kit Kitt Kitty

Posts: 84 | Location: Cat Hell, where cats suffer | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ARhunter
We had a great time.
Mighty Joe, next fall will be good for me too.
I love to hunt bear. It would be fun to be in camp with you and Mrs Mighty Joe at the same time. Either one of you, or both of you are welcome in my camp any time. See ya'll at DSC.