New
Find
Notify
Tools

Columbia Blacktail and Whitetail...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for info on columbia blacktail and whitetail hunting? Anybody recommend any good outfitters/guides. Better in California, Oregon or Washington? I just recently heard about columbia whitetail opening up. How big is a big columbia whitetail? Can one hunt both blacktail and whitetail on the same trip? Thanks for any info...

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Columbia Whitetail were just removed from the endangered species and can be hunted on a limited basis. (At least that was the talk from guide wwith whom I spoke). Good luck finding a guide. They are tiny little things, but do have ok antlers.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Douglas County Oregon ( Roseberg on a map)...has Columbia Whitetail.. I know it has been illegal to shoot them for the 11 years I have lived out here...

As far as Blacktails....they are antelope sized...

The populations are also notoriously down in both Washington and Oregon.... California, especially on the coast ( Humboldt County and Mendicino County, and Del Norte County) are doing a lot better on numbers than Oregon and Washington...

Being a local, it is better to spend my time and money and go over to Idaho or Wyoming, or Nevada for next deer season... the numbers here are pathetic...this area of Oregon use to be "the place to go" for trophies..but not any more.. I wish I could paint a better picture, but I am painting a honest picture and don't want to see ya spend your time and money and go home very disappointed...

I would try and check out California over Oregon or Washington...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've known Mike Kaiser for a probably 10 years. He's consistantly successful and has probably the best leases around here. Real nice guy and ethical. He is probably manly blacktail, but he's knows all the player in Oregon so I'm sure he could stear you right for Columbia Whitetail.

http://www.hafbo.com/menu1/places/mjkgdsv1.html

One of Us
Picture of SkyJacker
posted Hide Post
Your handle is my favorite caliber rifle. I own 3 257 Roberts.

Posts: 177 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not all blacktails are dinks. This is my 2006 buck and they can get alot bigger than this guy. He was right around 150 lbs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
257 Roberts;

Check these guys out. I've hunted both blacktail and last year columbian whitetail (first time the season was open, in 25 years, I was told) with them and have had successful hunts and a great time. "Western Oregon Outfitters"

www.westernoregonoutfitters.com

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Hey RogueSix,

That's a great buck. It seems like our deer here have longer legs through. Wink

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Blacktails are my favorite topic. In 1994 Oregon had something like 750,000 deer. Today it has something like 330,000. The hound hunting ban for cougars and bears have allowed the predators to hammer the deer population. We definately have to work harder for them now. The eco-freaks are really winning in Oregon. All that said, I love hunting them.