New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portable blinds.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you guys think of portable blinds? Do they work? What features are important? Double Bull seem to be a high end blind(maybe a little too high end) and Ameristep appears to be good quality and reasonably priced way to go. Anyone out there have experience with the Double Bull or Ameristep blinds?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How do you plan using the blind?

In a lot of circumstances, a length of cam netting, a little string and pair of garden secateurs can go a long way to producing a very servicable temp blind in the field....

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one, they work pretty good.
I have used mine in the woods and deer will come inside 20 yards of the thing trying to figure it out. They usually notice it about 35-40 yards away though. (enough time for you to shoot that deer several times over)

I think they would be perfect on the edge of a field or powerline, tucked just inside of the tree line. I have only used mine on a powerline twice, but didn't see any deer.

Just be smart and use the terrain to your advantage, don't set the thing up in the middle of a field or anything. [Wink]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent bowhunting success out of the Ameristep products.

Posts: 19239 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Could you share some details on your bowhunting successes? I'm sure they would be entertaining as well as informative. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you pay for a good blind? Are they easy to Pack?

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do not have blaze orange requirement, then check out this site. I have used the product and am very happy with it.

Ghillie Suits

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Found some good deals on E-bay. I just picked up an Ameristep Penthouse in Mossy Oak. Hope it works out well. After I have some field experience with it, I'll post any pros/cons.

If you have any field experience with these or any other ground blinds, please share with us. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I want one without a bottom so I can pick it up and move in on the deer LOL Just kidding. I always am able to construct some before season on location with cedar tree cuttings. Good scent coverup too. Probably can't do this on public hunting land.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter_fish:
I want one without a bottom so I can pick it up and move in on the deer LOL Just kidding.

[Big Grin] I can just picture that!!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the one from Game Tracker for 2 seasons, its the one with the carbon scent absorber sewn in.

If you don't place it correctly, with a proper background it will spook deer.

Tie some florescent orange surveyor's ribbon to the outside, I had one guy spot my face thru the open window and mistake me for a whitetail.

I use a modified shooting stick for a rest, the windows are not stable enough.

If you put a thin layer of silicone calk on the stiches, they are quite waterproof.

Mine is also a great windbreak.

Mine packs very well.

I've had more fun with it for squirrel hunting than anything else. take a folding chair and a good book, then set up in a good area in big timber and shoot a few with the .22 mag, wait till they forget about the noise and repeat as needed.

[ 03-26-2003, 05:47: Message edited by: TERRY8mm ]

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry. Great post! I like the squirrel hunting idea. [Big Grin]

I've heard the stories on hunters shooting into the blinds....scary!!!! [Eek!] I'll definitely be marking mine with some H-Orange.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used the Ameristep outhouse blinds deer hunting with my 12 year-old son last year. We had several turkeys wander around several times but didn't see any deer. I think the blinds did a good job of consealing our motion. I'm a firm believer in adding some orange tape on the outside.
Gene

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote