Login/Join

one of us
posted
Boy have we got a deal for Kolorado!

Group plans to sue feds over elk-killing plan

BILL SCANLON
Scripps Howard News Service
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:25 PM MST

A wolf-advocacy group said it will sue Rocky Mountain National Park over its decision to hire sharpshooters to kill up to 200 elk a year at the park as a way to handle overpopulation.

The decision to use the sharpshooters was made in December but signed Friday by Mike Snyder, intermountain director for the National Park Service.

A WildEarth Guardians officer said Monday that federal officials didn't take a fair look at introducing wolves to the park as an alternate way to keep the elk population down.

Elk -- there are an estimated 2,000 in the park -- are destroying aspen and willows in large stretches on the eastern part of the Continental Divide, threatening to decimate large areas of the riverbank ecosystem.

The Park Service says shooting elk will be part of a plan that also includes fences, restoring trees and redistributing the elk.

But Rob Edward, director for carnivore recovery for the Santa Fe, N.M.-based WildEarth Guardians, said 30 or 40 wolves could accomplish the same goals in a more natural way.

The National Park Service plan also calls for testing live elk for chronic wasting disease.

In the first year, up to 120 female elk would be captured, be tested for the disease and be given a fertility-control treatment. Biologists hope they'll learn new and better ways to deal with CWD by testing the female elk.

Any elk that tested positive for CWD -- a relative to "mad cow" disease -- would be killed and removed.

The final plan "balances the most important management issues with the many differing viewpoints expressed," said Park Service Superintendent Vaughn Baker. It will be the guideline for managing elk for the next 20 years.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about letting hunters take care of the overpopulation. WTF do you do with the damn wolves once the population is brought down.

This is just more Bu**sh*t.

F***'em let them sue.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
FDR one step removed...."There is nothing to fear but the government itself."

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

In 2002 I was hiking on the western slope of Rocky Mountain National Park, and bumped into a high school teacher, who is also a wolf expert. We were discussing the real damage that the over populated elk herd was doing to the flora in the park, and what if any control wolves would provide to the elk herd.

He stated emphatically, that the park is not big enough for a large pack of wolves. Also, he said that once the wolves extended themselves outside the park, they would probably not hunt the elk anymore, because domesticated animals would be plentiful and easier to kill.

Question, what has happened at Yellowstone and its environs with the introduction of wolves? That's your answer as to wolf introduction into Rocky Mountain National Park.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I don't wish wolves on anyone, but IMO the problems with domestic livestock will be minimal.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with wolves in RMNP is that they will be hunting and killing elk in down town Estes Park. How long before the neighborhood pets go missing as well? I'm sure sooner or later wolves will be reintroduced to Colorado, but I'd like to see a plan in place for their population control before they are brought here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and bumped into a high school teacher, who is also a wolf expert.

So why's he teaching high school?
I've yet to meet a teacher who isn't an "expert" on something,LOL!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Dave:

And Albert Einstein was a patent clerk and an expert in physics.

To answer your question directly, Sam, the wolf expert and teacher told me he loved to teach, but wolves fascinated him.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No need to reintroduce them, they're already here.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=83292

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

I don't know why your government doesn't do what ours here does when it thinks needs to reduce deer populations. They don't use wolves or hunters, they just dump a couple of tons of 1080 poison (sodium monoflouroacetate) over the area and kill everything in the block to be sanitised. It is very effective.

A month ago I went to my favourite venison collection valley only to have my nose assailed by the stench of rotting corpses.

In a 500 yard stretch up the river I found 5 dead pregnant hinds. Heaven knows how many were in the dense bush but the stench was overpowering.

I would have had photos to publish in the paper but a couple of days later my truck was stolen along with the camera and most of my hunting/camping gear.

Man that was a bad week.

I would rather have wolves in the area than idiots running the show like we have.

I do sympathise with you but it could be worse the wolves could be in the drivers seat like we have here.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Guys,

I don't know why your government doesn't do what ours here does when it thinks needs to reduce deer populations. They don't use wolves or hunters, they just dump a couple of tons of 1080 poison (sodium monoflouroacetate) over the area and kill everything in the block to be sanitised. It is very effective.

A month ago I went to my favourite venison collection valley only to have my nose assailed by the stench of rotting corpses.

In a 500 yard stretch up the river I found 5 dead pregnant hinds. Heaven knows how many were in the dense bush but the stench was overpowering.

I would have had photos to publish in the paper but a couple of days later my truck was stolen along with the camera and most of my hunting/camping gear.

Man that was a bad week.

I would rather have wolves in the area than idiots running the show like we have.

I do sympathise with you but it could be worse the wolves could be in the drivers seat like we have here.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

It sounds like your government needs a dose of lead poisoning.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Allan,

This government should be getting the bullet in November when we have our next election. The problem is I am not too sure whether the other mob is going to be any better.

When you put the hard questions on the candidates for their take on things without indicating what side ot the fence you are on they are really evasive and give non commital answers. If they can they will give you the answers they think you want to hear.

They are the same all over the world I'm afraid.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think politicians should be subject to a special kind of debate.

where ordinary people pose the questions and if an evasive answer is given the politician should be kicked solidly in the balls.

A designated kicker (american rules football kicker) should
be provided upon request of the questioner.

three kicks and the candidate should be removed from the ballot if they don't withdraw voluntarily.

AND those non-evasive answers should be recorded as
being made under oath and if their promises are not kept they should be removed from office and thrown in jail for perjury.

That would definatly reform the representive republic system of government.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote