Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Leupold 6x42
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I just bought a Leupold 6x42 because of the price. I have all Leupold variables, but the 6x42 has always interested me. FWIW, I will be putting it on a 6.5 Swede. Any opinions/experiences regarding this scope. [Smile]

[ 06-28-2002, 05:05: Message edited by: DOCTOR LOU ]

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
It has become my favorite hunting sight.............

posted Hide Post
Great scope! It's bright and rugged. No need to fool with magnification ring, either.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with the others it's an awesome sight. Really overlooked I feel.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Got one on my 6.5 Gibbs. Best all-round scope out there IMHO.

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I own and use 5 of them on rifles up to .375 H&H. Clients like it too when they use my rifle they are amased by the light gathering and eye relief of the fixed six.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Like you I picked one up cheap with a dot. I put it on my Win. M-61 .22LR. The dot is too small for big game and the scope too powerful for fast moving game.

It also has some parallax at 50 yards.

It's really not right for anything I have.

If I could get a 4X scope for a fair price I would buy it. That's what I use on my most serious rifles but the Leupold 4X is overpriced and not that great a scope either. Just my opinion. The 2X7 or 3X9 Leupolds are a better buy and more flexible.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi...
I used one on my 308 win. for roe deer for years.
Worked great when stand hunting in dusk and dawn conditions on open grassland.
My son then put it on his 25-06, and he like it a lot . A wery good scope, but not my first pick in dense woodland though. [Smile]

Posts: 1878 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Interesting you brought this up. I just ordered one for my .270 Winchester. I've never had one, but I hear they are good scopes. Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I buy them everytime I find a good deal on them. Personally, for "me," I feel they are pretty much the perfect balance, optically speaking, for 95 percent of my hunting requirements.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 6 power scopes on all my rifles, they just plain work with no fiddling. To get the same sight picture every time you put a rifle to your shoulder is worth a lot of time which in turn is worth some game. They do a heavy reticle which is supposed to be excellent for low light.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I also have one on my 30.06, I used the combination extensivly in Africa last year. Worked very nicely.

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DOCTOR LOU:
I've got 3 of them on different varmit rifles and find the 6x great. I may put one on one of my elk rifles this year to see how it goes. One of the best scopes leupold made was the 6x compact with an ao and those are harder to get ahold of. Well good luck!
Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<280rem>
posted
I put one on my elk rifle and like someone else said, it is an overlooked scope. I like it alot and it just plain looks good sitting on the old Winchester. John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don Martin Leupold can change the reticle for a reasonable cost send an e-mail .

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I resisted the urge to go to the 6X42 for sometime. I've always liked the 4X for it's simplicity, and speed of use. For my fancier rifles, I've been a good variable fan.
I also realized, over the 47 yrs. I've used variables, that the scope had to be mounted right. I need to pick up the image when my face hit the stock if I was in a hurry. Slowly I've come to realize that generous, non-critical eye relief is much more important than a few feet more in the field of view.
Being able to see game in cover, and under poor light conditions is also very desirable.
Then one day, it was pointed out to me that most 6X scopes have 4 feet of view at 25 yds., vs. 6 feet for most 4X scopes. That's still plenty of room to pick up game, particularly if you shoot with both eyes open.
So, I've started putting 6X42's on my rifles. I have no complaints. They are particularly useful, early and late, in heavy cover.
They mount much better on my Ruger than any variable. I can get the scope far enough forward to pick up the image easily.
I've also found the advantages of a target elevation knob. It's a snap to reset for a 100 yd. precision shot, or a over 300 yd. longer shot. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
I have the Leupold 6x42 on a Ruger #1, .300 Weatherby Mag and think it's a great scope! When I dry fire, the horizontal crosshair vibrates. Doesn't seem to affect accuracy...Leupold says it's normal.Anyone else notice this?

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thanks for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated. Dr. Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote