Find
Notify
Tools

250 gr. Hornady in .358
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,
This is my first post under my new name that I took after the change-over. I was wanting to know if/how the 250 gr. Hornady round nose .358 bullet would perform on elk/deer size game at 200 yards or less. Muzzle velocity would be 2300 fps out of my .358 Winchester, which is the lower velocity limit that Hornady reccomends. Would the 200 grain Hornady Spire Point at 2520 fps be better? Thanks

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one subject I can speak of from experiance.

The 250 gr RN Hornady is like a sledgehammer on Deer. I shot one facing me at about 50 yards, and actually pushed him backwards, as I could see the tracks side backwards in the snow.

Another was shot broadside in the shoulders, and it threw him agains the tree behind him, and that is where he fell dead.

Several others shot broadside thru the lungs, ran a few wards and died.

All this from a 358 at 2300 fps.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Joe, Sorry for the delay in getting this answer off. The 250 Hornady RN was and is my bullet of choice for the .358 Winchester. I have personally taken over 20 head of big game with it over the years and strongly recomend it for your usage. The load I used was 45 grains of H335 and accuracy was sub MOA in two Ruger rifles. his is one of the most under rated cartridges ever to be marketed in the uS of A, IMHO. Hornady switched the design many years back, and the newer version is just slightly softerand blunter... an improvment in my opinion. If you use this bullet properly just once you will look no further.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote