THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Sako price increase and Beretta purchase

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako price increase and Beretta purchase
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sako rifles have recently gone up dramatically. I was looking at a 75 stainless synthetic about 2 months ago and they were going for around $830. They now are selling for $1140 with a suggested retail of over $1200 [Eek!] ...I don't think so...Too many semi-custom jobs within $200 of that price range. Especially since they won't even give you a set of rings! [Wink]

I wonder if people will be selling "pre-Beretta" Sakos like they classify some rifles as "pre-Garcia?" [Confused]

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of questions come to mind.

1) How do you know the price increase was generated by Beretta USA? Or Sako?

2) Could it be that inventories are low (and not due to intentaional manipulation)? That supply and demand thing again....

3) Could it be some dealers are greedier than others?

4) Is this price increase universal? No one is still offering them at lower prices?

I have a pre-Beretta Sako. I see nothing on it that makes it any more valuable than those made after Beretta bought Sako. Except maybe to some chump who thinks these ownership and importation changes make a whole hell of a difference.

?

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion,
A couple of things I know for a fact about the merger...

Sako is now distributed by Beretta. Therefore, all former Sako distributers must now get on Beretta's program if they wish to distribute Sako.
The price increase is across the board. I checked with several dealers who all confirmed this including a close friend who is dealer direct with Beretta.
I was in Bass Pro last week and all the SS synthetic model 75s were $1,139... The head of the hunting department confirmed that prices were increased on Oct 1st.
You might be able to find one of the old Sako distributors with M75s in stock at the old price. But I struck out with the 7 or 8 places I tried for a 7mm Rem mag in SS synthetic...
Pricing on things like mass produced rifles only very rarely has anything to do with supply and demand...things like that are priced to generate a certain profit margin pure and simple. Certain things like the recent slide of the value of the dollar vs, the Euro may have influenced this to a degree.

[ 11-03-2003, 03:02: Message edited by: Kentucky Nimrod ]

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see.

Well, it looks like Beretta USA decided to test the price elasticity of their new products. When sales drop off enough to affect revenue negatively (if they ever do at this new price), the price may come back down some.

Still, as you said, a new Sako for $850 or so is a hell of a deal. I got mine in trade for a shotgun worth about that, with the idea that a more recognized brand name (Sako) would be easier to sell. Once I saw the quality, all thoughts of selling disappeared.

I also agree that $1100 to $1200 for a production rifle is a bit much. You're right, for $1500 to $1800, a Model 70 or CZ 550 based semi-custom starts to look awfully good

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote