Notify
Tools

S.E. Alaskan Black Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Folks,

I posted this at the 24hourcampfire website a few days ago, so if ya saw it there, it's a repeat.

Anyhow, I got this bear last week.

Here's a pic of me and the bear taken at right where it fell...

That's the moon over my shoulder, not the sun. I took the shot from the tiny island across the water to the right. (190 yards)

This is the first picture I took, right after we got over there...

This is after we drug it up to the high tide line, and propped it up...

This is obviously after we skinned it out...

The bear scored a 20 10/16" skull, still green. I'm told it will shrink 3/16th an inch when dried out. It measured about 6' 10", on scene, by our very experienced local bear expert, and an even 7 feet by the taxidermist after fleshing and removing the skull/paw stuff.

Weight is estimated at 450lbs. He was very lean for his size.

The rifle was my 416 Taylor, using 370gr Northfork bullets going 2400fps at the muzzle. Winchester M70 Classic, stainless/composite, Leupold 2.5-8 scope.

To say I'm very pleased would be a gross understatment! We saw some that were even bigger, but they were way too smart for us to get a shot.

------------------
Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Congratulations on a great bear! I know you've been working hard for the last few years, glad you finally got to clobber one! I'm hoping to at least get out after one this spring.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cruising the inland coastal areas of Alaska in a small boat looking for bear is a little bit of heaven on earth.....compares to cruising the roads of Africa looking for buffalo tracks to follow....durn nice looking bear.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent bear! Excellent bullet placement! Excellent experience all around it would seem! Congratulations Brian!

Psst!: Could you divulge the location you hunted? I won't tell.

------------------
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks.

All the comments are appreciated.

Hunting S.E. Alaska via a boat, when the weather is cooperating is certainly a great way to go. This area was absolutley gorgeous, and I thought Sitka was hard to beat. We were dealing with a northwest wind, between 10-20 knots most the time. But, every so often the wind would lay down, and the seas would flatten. Naturally some bays were better than others, depending on topography.

No one was more suprised than me, when it came to that entry wound. Sure that's where I was aiming, but man I was happy that's were the bullet hit. The fact it showed up so clearly, I guess due to the flash, also suprised me. There's no digital retouching on that picture. Then again, one would hope for a nice hole when tossing .416" diameter bullets.

------------------
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Congrats many times over!I am VERY envious.

Found a place just chocked full of GIANT black bears-we're talking 500-600 pounds.Yellowstone dropped a huge problem grizzly via helicopter in this spot around 25 years ago,and now some very strange looking and gigantic blackys are being seen and shot in there.General consensus is that that lone grizzly boar interbreeded with blackys,since there was certainly no other grizzlys around.

These "high breed" bears are very strang looking-they have the blacky coat and the trademark waddle,with a grizzly shaped head (round ears though),and extremely long hair on the belly.

Hell,since it's not really a black bear,and it's not really a grizzly,I guess that means my black bear and grizzly rifles won't work.Time for a new rifle.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dubya... Yeah, right. You aiming there. Uh, huh, I believe it. Sure.

Excellent bear, excellent shot, and all that good stuff folks say. I'd like to do this too, but come fall time. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
BW,

Great pictures. Congratulations for your bear hunted.

I think the 9.3X62 can do the same job as you .416 Taylor.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bear nice shot.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
Well done and a very nice bear!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Brian
Congratulations nice looking bear

one of us
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!!!! I am heading to Prince William Sound next week! There are some good black bear on some of the islands there also!!

Congrats!!

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Excellent bear thanks for sharing.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

BW, that is a hell of a bear and you must know something about boating, I think it was 50 miles in a 14 foot boat. If I am wrong please correct me. That is what I would call dangerous hunting. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW,
Great bear, looks like a nice big hole left by the 416. Excellent shot placement too. You did good. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BrainM How much money would it take to have you mail me the info in your secret squirrel black bear hunting spot?500-600 lbs. blackies? Count me in

Posts: 131 | Location: Tacoma Wa. | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Kev,

The 40-50 mile trip in the Lund (14ft riveted aluminum boat) was not my hunt. That was "Muley Stalker" who posted the story at the 24hourcampfire website. Here's a link to that story...

Muley Stalkers Alaska Black Bear Hunt

It sounds like he had a great hunt, and a bit of adventure too.

My hunt did involve boating 150 miles (over 300 miles round trip) in my 24ft cabin cruiser. That's considered a pretty good stretch for a single engine gas powered boat. Especially considering some of the water was very open.

As a form of respect, to some of the fine folks who live in the exact area both of us hunted, I will not give the exact location. Not too worry though, as it's not exactly an unknown secret location, everyone has heard of it before.

Let's just say, that black bear hunting in S.E. Alaska, Vancouver Island, and B.C. Canada is generally considered pretty good.