New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valle Vidal Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone hunted or camped in the Valle Vidal?

We drew tags for cow elk in the Valle Vidal, and plan to camp at McCrystal (first week in November). In previous years we have hunted down in the Gila, using a sheepherder tent and camping out of a vehicle.

I am trying to figure how are the roads, (not many), firewood collection, water, etc.

Thanks.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean NE New Mexico

I have not hunted there, but have hiked a couple times through there out of Philmont Scout Ranch. Beautiful, rugged, unspoiled area. Water can be scarce

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2599 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that you can call the guys at the game dept and they will answer all of your questions. I would call the abq office.

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the adjoining ranch for years...all that seperated us from the Valle was a old rusted two strand barbed wire fence. We got very familiar with the Valle...it's a special place. Best to bring in your stuff via pack mule if you can to the campsites. There are several guys in the area that guide there...if you have drawn tags, they will be in touch.

From our experience, check out this area: Beatie Lakes...you can thank me later.

Best of luck!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that they also assign you to an area.

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i used to hunt on a property that was above the ski rio resort, bounded by latir peak. close to the valle vidal. sure is pretty up there. only went on one day trip to valle vidal.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corax,
Give me a call I have hunted in there a number of times. 505-334-2829
Kevin

Posts: 61 | Location: new mexico | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you live in Aztec???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes I do. Do I know you??

Posts: 61 | Location: new mexico | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there last year in November... my little son had the tag... only one campsite has water and the roads are rough but passable... go slow with a camper. Buy a map and hunt high if the weather has held and there's no snow...may want to bring a fly rod and fish the little stream on the west. There is also a stocked pond and a couple ponds on the back side of the road from the one camp. The camp on the east side is dry but you may bring horses to both. You are NOT assigned hunting areas... that would be Valles Caldera near Los Alamos. Do not be afraid to hunt the dark timber... it is HIGH, above 8500'. At that time of the season elk will wait til dark to move. You can dry camp off any road, but it has to be a good distance off the road. NO vehicle traffic off road and NO hunting other than elk during elk season. We could have clubbed one young mule deer it was that close, but they are off limits. Good luck!

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote