Tools

2 filled tags in 2 weeks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
Ok, so 15 days, but close enough.

CO archery elk, OTC, DIY, totally solo.
80# Bowtech CPXL, 31.5"; 642gr gold tip arrows tipped with 125gr iron will outfitters broadheads.

I spent 4 weekends in a row in my OTC area trying to learn the area and find elk. I have hunted a couple days in this general area 2 years ago, and wanted to really explore it this year, as I know it holds at least a few elk.

So, 30+ miles of boot leather, and I was able to piece together some wallows, water, feed, and bedding. This area gets a ton of hunting and hiking pressure, so the elk are completely silent. I did not hear a mew, a bugle (by an elk), nothing the entire season. I stayed away from all hiking trails and focused on the thick timber and steep hillsides.

I saw a big 6 point the third weekend in the thick timber; and quickly realized i had found a nice bedding area. Tons of rubs, fairly close to some wallows and food sources, and lots of fresh sign.

Back to that area the 4th weekend, and I found the big boy again Saturday 9/21, but couldn't quite get a shot near a small pond in the timber. I set up a spike camp nearby this travel corridor, and was back at first light sunday morning. About 15mins after shooting light I see another elk sneaking through the timber about 60 yards away, get my Leica's up and see it's a small, but legal, bull. Good enough! I let him ease out of sight since he wasn't in a good place for a shot and was on the move, and let out a few soft cow calls.

I have never had an elk damn near run me over before, but I thought he was going to. As soon as he heard the call he came sprinting towards me. He had to go up and down a small hill to get to me, and all I could hear were hooves pounding the dirt and limbs breaking under him as he hauled ass to find this cow. i drew at the noise since I couldnt see him yet, and he sprinted in to 12 steps and stopped broadside behind a small clump of trees.

He peeked around the trees to see my standing up at full draw, I really wanted him to take another step or two and expose his vitals, but I knew he was about to bolt. I could see his shoulder through a small opening in the pine needles, so I sent the arrow. He whirled, ran, and crashed about 5 seconds later, covering only 50-60 yards.

He is my 3rd elk, but the first 2 were on guided hunts and private land. This is the first elk DIY, otc, public land, and damn that feels good! Getting him out and back to the truck alone didn't feel so good, but it is well worth the pain and bruises.

Friday, Oct 4th me and 2 good friends and my Dad headed to WY to chase speedgoats.
I used my rem 700 7mag with 160gr accubond handloads ~2850 fps. I know the 7mag is a bit much for antelope, but my 6.5 creedmoor is pissing me off and doesn't shoot nearly as well right now.
My buddies used a Tikka 6.5 creed with factory Hornady 143 eld-x, and a win70 .264 WM with i think 140gr core-lokts. Dad was toting his trusty weatherby vanguard .270 and 130gr scirroccos.

Season opened saturday the 5th, and we started all together in a honey-hole spot Dad and I have hunted for years. We were playing guide until my 2 buddies got their goats. One of which was chasing his first speedgoat.

First thing Saturday we spot a herd about 1,000y away, and we send my 2 buddies on the stalk. It was pretty cool watching the whole thing unfold from that far away. They closed in to 300y before being spotted, and my buddy made a perfect shot and put down his first goat with his creedmoor. Turns out to be the goat of the trip, a little over 14" with really good mass and cutters.

From his downed goat, they spot another buck farther up the drainage, so when Dad and I make it to them, Dad, myself, and one guy head off after him. We make damn near a mile loop to get in position, and when we get to him, there's a truck nearby... Those hunters spook the group, but luckily they ran up on top of the draining into the big flat, which is where we were. My buddy gets down and whiffs a shot, as the wind was horrific that day and he misjudged his hold. Off they go...

We meet up with the successful hunter after he gutted his goat and stashed it in the shade, and quickly find another lone buck to go after. He is another half mile away or so, so we drop down and use the terrain to get withing about 350y before we just run out of cover. Dad and I tell buddy #2 to try again, and again he is shooting in a hell of a crosswind. His first shot connects, but another is needed, so his finishing shot is around 380y with about a 2.5 foot wind hold to cut his heart in half with that .264. 2 goats down in the first couple hours, not a bad start!

We gather up those 2, hike them back to the truck to a friends house to hang/skin/quarter the goats and get on ice. Dad has been sick with a bad cold and still has it, and coming from TN low lands he can barely breathe, so he takes the afternoon off. The 3 amigos take off looking for a decent buck for me, but i wanted to explore some new areas I've never been to. We did find a big group of goats but they were too far to chase given the amount of daylight we had left.

Day 2; we put in 10 miles in 3 different locations, and was a rough day. Lots of other hunters, and few sightings. We dropped Dad off to relax after lunch and the 3 amigos went back out, and did find me a nice buck at 405y. As I was trying to get settled on the crosshairs he had enough and bolted. So close...

Day 3; our last day. We split up this time, with myself and one amigo hunting the area up from the south, and Dad and amigo #2 driving in to come down from the north end of the area. I found a small group with a buck almost immediately, but they were a long, long ways off. So, off we go... across flats, down and up a couple big drainages, and we are getting closer finally. The group of goats were also working their way towards us, so when we popped up the last drainage to look out in the flat and find them, they were headed our way and off to our left. So we bailed back down into the draining and worked around closer. As we were going towards them, they also dropped down into the draining and were working their way towards us. I looked ahead around a small bend and saw an antelope face, and hit the deck. Got the rifle, crawled up to a little rise, and checked him out. He was a small buck, and I was almost deciding not to shoot. They ran about 20 yards to the opposite side of the drainage to get a better look at us, and I decided he was good enough on the last morning, so I had a nice 75 yard shot and put him down.

Put him on my back and hiked him 1.5mi or so back to my truck. Dad was exhausted after a few miles and had enough; so he ate his tag this year. He was just happy to hang out, cook food, and drink beer with the boys. This was a great trip to just relax, do some walking, and get some delicious meat.

I leave next week for a 2nd rifle deer hunt down near Durango, CO with one of the amigos, which is down near where the 3rd amigo lives, so hopefully I can fill one more tag this year for my trifecta; and really pack that freezer full!

My little (but legal!) bull. Notice his antler bases. His skull is mis-shapen. I will get a pic once i finish whitening the skull.

My little antelope:

The 3 amigos:

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Coop:

By damn you're learning kid!
Congrats!

Hell of a deal, never seen sandals in the field before. OR is that your yard?

Never seen game with a horn growing out of the middle of the head like that before. That will make a special wall hanger.

Hell of an exit hole for a pointed stick.

I was with a young guy shooting a .300Win, 150's. He made a gutshot on a medium sized goat buck at 80 yards. We ran out to it and it was dead! I thought then: "Damn, if they make a rifle that will kill that quick with a gutshot I've gotta have one".

Though I use a .243 for goats now, I've shot most with an '06, then a couple with a 7mmag.

You should hold off for a BIG buck in the SW corner. That's where they grow racks to match elk with.

How's that kid? Have another planted yet? Ha!
Better get with that game or you'll be too damned old sooner than you like.

Good to see you again even in pictures.

Get thru here rattle my cage. Closer down 385 though. Enjoy the view on the back side of the hills.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, any bow kill is an awesome thing. I'd love to see the euro mount on that elk.

I love pronghorn hunts, it's always a great social event with my buddies as well.

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mr. George.

The flip flops were at the little Air BnB house we rented, way too many cacti out there for hunting damn near barefoot!

No more planted just yet. I'm bout too old to keep up with the one we have! He just turned 18 months and is all over the damn place. I know why people have kids in their 20s and not 40. (although i'm a super young 38 Wink )

the accubond i used started life at 160gr.

The antelope was almost facing me, so I shot him about where his neck meets his shoulder. I found the bullet trying to poke through the skin on the inside opposite ham near his balls.

The AB weighed in at 109gr when found. 68% weight retention. I'm guessing it hit going pretty fast, 2750ish fps since he was only 75 or so yards.

I like watching the videos of the bullets in ballistics gel, where you see the massive hydrostatic shock at first, then a little line where the bullet keeps going.

That is exactly what happened to that antelope. Took out a couple ribs upon entry, turned his lungs to jelly, and just a small hole in and out of his stomach, and just a small pencil hole through his back ham. not even really any meat lost there. A decent amount of meat lost in the near side shoulder blade. I broke that shoulder blade to pieces. Pretty neat to see the bullet work on an animal. I probably should've shot him under his chin for bit less meat loss, but my dog is a happy camper for the shoulder meat.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job! Congratulations.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coop:

Kids are funny things at times.
Had three, couldn't find 'em. Big panic.
heard a crash in the kitchen. Damned if they
all three were not inside the upper cabinets!

I was driving long haul and parked the Freightliner in the drive way after midnight.
About 5am the air horn fired up and never shut down. WTH??

Went out and they'd helped the 2y.o up in the cab and got him to hang on the cord with both hands.
Noise scared him til he couldn't let loose. Neighbors didn't like it much either.

Chic next door is building one for Feb, she's 36, he's going to be 50 by then.

What kind of broadhead did you stick thru that bull? Gosh, hell of a hole!

Hogbreath just moved from the SW corner, hit him up for info about where the bucks
go to on their migration headed west past Pagosa.

Good luck and share the results.

Rick: How's Texass? Coming up hunting?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

What kind of broadhead did you stick thru that bull? Gosh, hell of a hole!

George

Shot him with an Iron Will Outfitters head. They are a CO based company and offer a premium quality head. It's a small head designed for elk penetration, but makes quite the hole. The one pictured is the entrance hole.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 Nice!