THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Konst (and others) questions re: Germany

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Konst (and others) questions re: Germany
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am travelling to Germany next month and would love to be able to view the countryside and the game animals it holds.(Once a hunter, always a hunter [Wink] ) There is no way that I'll be able to hunt regardless of season, etc. I'll be based out of Frankfurt. Directions would be very helpful. I'll have a couple of free days away from the relatives to sight see. Appreciate any imput.

best,
bhtr

[ 02-27-2003, 06:15: Message edited by: bearhunt'r ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearhunter,
Germany is blessed with lots of State owned forests which are open to public hiking. I used to hunt just east of Frankfurt near Markteidenfeld (among other places) There are more than a few trekking guides out there describing the way things work in the Wald... My stomping grounds were roughly 40 kilometers east of Frankfurt along the A-3 Autobahn. But I believe you will actually get into better rural settings south of Frankfurt. Of course the Bavarian alps are fabulous but a little inaccessable this time of year due to snowfall.
In the Steigerwald region east of Frankfurt you should be able to see Hirsch (Red Stag) Wildeschweine (Russian Boar), Rehwild (Roe Deer), if you are really luck an Auerhahn (A fairly rare large bird...kinda like a German wild turkey), There are also plentiful stocks of weasel, fox, mink, BIG European Hares (called Hass), and Hungarian PArtridge. Certain areas around the Steigerwald also hold Mouflon sheep.
Have fun! You will be amazed at the amount of forests and game in such a populated country!

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kentucky,
Thanks for the info. I've been many other places but this will be the first time I've been in central Europe, away from the "shores." I do plan on as many treks as possible (I'm always in training...sheep you know,)and am always facinated by exotic-to-me wildlife.
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote