Find
Notify
Tools

.25 caliber for aoudad?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,

Looking for those folks that have some experience with aoudad sheep. I am planning a hunt for them in the upcoming season. Is a .257 Roberts adequate for these sheep or is something more along the lines of the .280 or '06 a better choice? Thanks.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
They are strong and tough. But if you don't shoot long shots over 250 yards or so, a Roberts with good bullets will do fine. I am a fan of Ballistic Tips for a lot things but this is an instance where that type of bullet should be avoided. Go with mono-metals or Partitions, A-Frames or another tough bullet and go heavy-for-caliber. You're unlikely to make an Auodad fall over dead from shock with any of those calibers so you need a good blood trail (as in full exit).

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of the Roberts initially, but after hearing that, may stick with my .280 Remington. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, a .25 cal. will suffice. I took a nice ram several years ago with a 14" .257 JDJ using a 100 grain Ballistic Tip at 2693 fps MV. The range was right at 200 yards, and the shot dropped the aoudad in his tracks.

Yes, they are wary and can be tough. But pick your shots, be patient...and the .257 Rbts. will certainly do the trick at reasonable ranges.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add: The bullet struck the ram half-way up the chest in a direct line with the front legs, taking out a portion of the lungs, severing some major plumbing above the heart and imparting enough shock to the spine to drop the animal in its tracks. The bullet's exit was app. the size of a 50-cent piece.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

And they say the Good Ole' NBT wont do the job. roflmao.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two FN commercialMausers that I'd shoot Audad with at up to around 300yds. A 7x57 and a 30-06. in the 7x57 I use a 139 SST for deer, but for audad I'd use an Accu/Interbond or Parttion. In my 30-06 I use a 168 BST and would use it or any of the above. BTW, dont let anyone kid you, if you like muttom/lamb, Audad is excellent, if a little tough. I love it marinated and skewered. captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Duckster,

As with any other hunting, shot placement is the key. There is no doubt in my mind the .257 will do the job. On my Aoudad hunt, I used a .300 Wthby with 180 gr. Nosler partitions. We spotted my Aoudad across a canyon at approx. 150 yards. Unfortunatly, the sheep spotted us at the same time and went up hill hell bent for leather. My first shot off-hand missed entirely. The second shot hit him in the mid-back, taking out his rear landing gear. Shot number three in the chest ended things very quickly. They are a solid animal, and climb like, well, like a sheep! I would take the .280 if I had my choice.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .257 Roberts and love the rifle. I also have a .280. If I want to be certain of cleanly and quickly killing anything bigger than a 100lb. whitetail, I go for the .280. It is not affected by the wind as much and I am more confident of its killing power so I shoot it with more confidence. I'm sure the .257 is adequate but if something doesn't go quite right while using that gun or if you have to take a bit of a long shot, you might say "Shoulda brought the .280". Its happened to me. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, looks like everyone leans towards something a little bigger than the .257.