New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ross Johnson for NM Elk???
 Login/Join

<Bearhunter>
posted
I'm considering booking a hunt with Ross Johnson in New Mexico for Elk. Has anyone hunted with him in the past or have knowledge of him?

His outfit sure has logged up some impressive animals in recent years.

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
My dad and uncle have hunted with Ross for several years, taking both elk and antelope. What type of hunt are you looking at - archery, muzzleloader, or rifle? Can't provide any info on the archery set up. If you are considering either of the other two, email me with the specific questions you are looking to have answered and I'll try to get you some info.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that lives pretty close to me that killed the SCI Non Typical Elk and his partner killed a 400+ on the same hunt.
As a matter of fact the World Record was taken with a scope I sold him.
Ross is very expensive, I think his hunts are on the Acoma Reservation but don't quote me on that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think they're on the Acoma and you might review the hunting report forum for NM Elk. Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.serveroptions.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=000064

I don't do links often so sorry if it didn't work:

<www.serveroptions.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=45;t=000064>

Reed

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you will read my post again, you will see that I said don't quote me on the Acoma deal, I thought I remembered that was where they were hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I ruffled feathers on the Acoma comment then I apologize.

I'm not really too pleased with these outfits using airplanes. They were very clearly violating the law and NM seems to have thrown their arms in the air over the issue. Disrupting game movement by flying DURING THE SEASON much less up to 48 hours prior according to the law are pretty low in my book so you guys considering these guys committing the offense are part of the problem...not part of the solution.

Reed

<thomas purdom>
posted
I live in Grants, N.M. and I work as a newspaper reporter for the Gallup Independent. I hunted Unit 13 for elk in the first smokepole season. I did a story during the bow season on what it was like to be in hunting camp for my newspaper and the outfitter talked a lot about the guy. The game and fish folks have been trying for years to get him. The only way that will happen if for one of his clients to come forward and testify. I talked to one outfitter who witnessed him flying low in Unit 13, over BLM land and then the outfitter heard three rifle shots. Nothing unusual here, except it happened in bow season and rifles are not allowed in the first place in Unit 13. Game and Fish set up on him last season, but nothing came of it. Even herding elk with the plane during the daytime can become simply: "I was just looking at some land for speculation." I saw his plane at night,flying no more than 100 feet off the deck, lights off on a fullmoon night and still, nothing could be done. A lot of folks around here know what kind of an outfitter he is is, but proving it will be hard, not impossible, but hard. If you say it is impossible, look what happened to ole George T. with U.S. Outfitters in Arizona. It can happen, but it takes a long, long time and hunters honest enough to speak up when they see something going on illegal. Tom Purdom [Mad]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I can tell you know of what you speak. I would advise anybody else to listen to this man. Another way to stop this behavior is to not send any business his way. That's what I intend to do. His definition of guide is rather interesting from what I hear.

Good luck out there.

Reed

P.S. Have you considered contacting the FAA in addition to NM G&F? It would seem that flying with the numbers would be illegal? Shoot, it's probably violating one of the new terrorist laws and he could be shot down?

<Juneau>
posted
Don't know what kind of an outfit he runs, but did stop by his booth at SCI-Reno a couple of weeks ago, and can tell you that he is VERY expensive!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't get into name calling or details about this outfitter, and I know plenty and it's not good.

Do you're self a favor and pick another outfitter, there are plenty of good outfitters to pick from. Good-Luck

Scratch

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
<S.B. Hooper>
posted
He' no good if you are looking for honest, ethical outfitters. He was banned from public land at one time. Talk to NM Game and Fish people about him if you don't believe it. He hunts an area that I used to hunt and you would see the plane all the time. He built his lodge right in one of the main canyons the elk used as they moved off and on the flats to feed at night. He has produced some good animals over the years, but I really question how he did it after talking to lots of people in the know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So Bearhunter, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this matter if you would be so kind?

Reed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed,

Bearhunter, is correct when stating he was in trouble with the game and fish.

The BLM and Game and Fish busted him for building a concrete gate and locking out anyone that would enter his hunting area. All this land was BLM and it border the Cibola National Forest. He told his hunters that it was a private ranch.

Don Lewis and Ross are good buddies and everyone know about Lewis poaching elk Yellowstone park, and killing the five big deer in Utah with a rifle during archery season.

I could go on and on...

Scratch

Posts: 48 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Bearhunter>
posted
I must say a big "Thank You" to all that responded. That's what I like about this site.

Yes, after reviewing the responses, I'm looking for another outfitter, any suggestions?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thomas purdom:

...If you say it is impossible, look what happened to ole George T. with U.S. Outfitters in Arizona. It can happen, but it takes a long, long time and hunters honest enough to speak up when they see something going on illegal. Tom Purdom [Mad]

Thomas, I know this is a bit out of line with the original subject, but you made me curious. I suppose you are talking about Taulman (sp?)?? What did happen? Why do I ask? I have been in the "draw service" of US Outfitters for some years, now somewhat reduced compared to earlier. It was almost impossible to do the applications from abroad, so it seemed a good option. I have not been drawn, but I also have had no reason for complaint thus far. Anything I should be aware of?

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bearhunter:
I must say a big "Thank You" to all that responded. That's what I like about this site.

Yes, after reviewing the responses, I'm looking for another outfitter, any suggestions?

I have always had my best luck on guided hunts using a good booking agent.It cost you $0.00 and is priceless service.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote