THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    15 pt with Atlatl, now that's primitive hunting....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

15 pt with Atlatl, now that's primitive hunting....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
quote:
HUNTING NEWS
Missouri Hunter Harvests 15-point Buck with Atlatl Spear-thrower
BY: Daniel Xu + POSTED: 11/9/15

Taking a trophy buck is always a thrill, but taking a trophy buck with a spear-thrower must be even more exhilarating.

The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) announced recently that a hunter in St. Charles County was able to harvest a large 15-point buck with the primitive weapon during archery season. On October 24, Paul Gragg hit the buck from his tree stand at about 3:30 in the afternoon, landing one of the few—and perhaps one of the largest—bucks killed with an atlatl in the state.

“This was the first year he has hunted with the atlatl and it was the first time he threw at a deer!” the MDC stated on Facebook.

Hunting with atlatls was legalized in Missouri in 2010 and the state remains one of only two that allow it for deer hunting. Use of the primitive weapon for hunting deer is also legal in Alabama, and a handful of states also allow atlatls for taking small game.

Predating the bow and arrow, atlatls are one of the oldest and most primitive weapons still in use. It is comprised of a four- to six-foot-loong dart that looks like a cross between a spear and an arrow. The dart is placed on a launcher—the atlatl itself—that has a socket toward the rear to hold or engage the dart. With a forward throw, the hunter flicks the launcher forward and propels the dart like a spear. The atlatl allows the dart to be thrown much faster than what could be achieved by hand, and launched darts could go as fast as 100 miles per hour.

In 2011, Luke Boenker became the first hunter in Missouri to take down a deer with an atlatl when he harvested a four-point buck in St. Louis County.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, should be proud of himself!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
No mean feat! I got to where I could hit a cardboard rabbit cutout with my dart about 50 percent of the time at 30 feet. It would be a whole other matter learning to hit from a tree stand.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Pic found HERE

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
very cool, what do the darts look like?

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The extra "Dart", Arrow, spear is in the picture with fletching. The other one is sticking out of the deer.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote