Notify
Tools

Re: Routt National Forest
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Born to Hunt,
I hunt areas 3, 301, 4, and 441 every year. Definitely get the Routt National Forest Map, but also get the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) map. Between these two, you'll find all but the latest changes in public and private land. One area that definitely has some elk is around Bears Ears. You'll find that on the maps.
The people in Craig are fantastic. Have hunted there most years since 1978. Have two cow licenses for those areas, one in November and another in January.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might be mistaken but I believe ONLY wilderness areas prohibit ATVs. I see em all over national forest areas, even off the trails they are supposed to remain on. I have hunted one wilderness area, and there was a forest svc. employee watching for illegal atv traffic. JMO. Good Luck.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. Is there a web site where I can order these maps?

Yesterday, I emailed someone in Craig about hunting info.

I hear the elk numbers are great!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Write or contact the Forest Circus and get a map of Routt NF. I think they are about $5, but it was a while ago that I bought mine.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also go to unit 4. There are a lot of elk in that area but I have not seen many big bulls. You might find though that the elk are pushed out to the private land by the second season. The USFS does not allow ATV's off road in that area of the forest and in several years of hunting there I have not seen one. It realy makes it nice for someone on foot. If you are looking for campgrounds you might try Sawmill. There are a lot of good areas within a few miles of there.

Another option that I have not tried would be to hunt lower down on the BLM ground that surrounds the forest. The problem with BLM land is that it is generally not as clearly marked as the forest service ground. But if you get good maps you should not have any trouble finding where you need to be.

You should have a great time out there regardless.

Posts: 3 | Location: SD | Registered: 23 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote