New
Find
Notify
Tools

ELK HUNT HELP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So here is the deal I have never been on an elk hunt, know nothing about what is required but would really like to go. What is involved with getting setup to make a hunt. Can I find an outfitter and just pay them and he will have everthing ready as fars a tags and license? Or do I have to enter for a draw and if i get a tag then find a place to hunt and get a license? thanks for any help i would like to try to make an elk hunt in the next couple years and figure now is a good time to start figuring out what i need to do.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Alot of outfitters will have the tags already via landowner tags etc. This of course typically costs quite a bit more then applying for ??? years and then hiring the guide once you have a tag. This ofcourse is assuming you want to go to a premeir area where there are no over the counter tags. I'm sure alot of guys here have alot more elk experience then me, but I'd be happy to refer you to an outfitter or two I've been happy with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the experience you want. Do you want to hunt elk or do you want to kill a bull or do you want to kill a large bull? All those categories cost more and more when you have higher expectations. Do you want a horse hunt or a 4x4 hunt?

For example, you can buy and over the counter tag and hunt spikes or "AnyBull" in Utah on your own. Or you could buy one of those tags and pay a trespass fee or even go on a guided hunt. You can also buy a tag and do similar in Colorado.

Then you have the Draw Systems. Usually provide better quality, but the waits mirror the quality- higher=longer. You are most likely too far behind in points for most quality units.

I would suggest buying a Wyoming General Season Elk Point next month. Then you can book a hunt with an outfitter for either a horse type hunt or a ranch hunt in the next 2 years. Either option will cost you $3,000-10,000 depending on what you want and expect.

If you want to come out to Utah and hunt spikes or cows on your own then I can give you some good starting points.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.vermejoparkranch.com

We have been here three times on elk hunts and once we took my Father-in-law here for fishing. Fantastic place to hunt and fish.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
SKS,

Elk hunting out west can be complicated. Each state has its own rules for obtaining tags.

In general, there are 3 types of tags_

1. Over the counter
2. Draw tags
3. Land owner or outfitter tags

Most premium areas are either on a draw or an expensive landowner tag. Applying for the draws can be daunting, cycling through the regs and deadlines. A subscription to a magazine like the Huntin Fool is invaluable in providing the information to help with this process.

The other option is to purchase a tag. Colorado has the largest population of elk of any state. They have draws, land owner tags, and over the counter tags. A hunter who does his research and hunts hard has a very good chance of success with and OTC tag. You can hunt public land with these tags, or pay trespass fees to go on private ranches.

About the best bang for your buck (or bull) would be New Mexico. You can buy land owner vouchers from 1500-6000, depending on the ranch. You would then need to either do it yourself or hire an outfitter.

There are a ton of options for every pocketbook. You will have a blast doing your research. PM me if you need any help.

Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replys so far guys. it sounds like i really need to start doing some research now if i want to hunt in the next few years. i don't have a ton of vacation time so i will probably be going on a complete guided type hunt. i would hate to put in all the effort and get up there and not even get a chance to see an elk. my goals for a kill aren't exceptionally high of coarse everyone wants to kill a monster but just to go and experience the hunt and kill a elk period. im kinda of the idea that you can't eat horns but its still nice to try. im going to read up on it but keep the replys and recomendations coming.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
sksshooter,

I have PM,d you a great starter hunt you can do this year.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks ted i did get your pm. that does appear to be an excellent starter hunt. that would give me a good idea of how the process works without killing the pocket book. it definatly won't happen this year but for that price i will be setting something up for next year. im gonna try to get my dad to go with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sksshooter

I sent you a P.M.

Thanks

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Colorado Division of Wildlife recently started "Elk University", an online introduction to Elk Hunting. Here's the link:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hu...lkHuntingUniversity/

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You certainly don't need an outfitter to hunt elk and you don't need to spend $3,000+.

But you do need to do some homework to get prepared. This and other forums have lots of folks who can make suggestions and there are plenty of State sponsored websites that can tell you what is out there from a tag availability and rules perspective.

My advice is:
1. Get in great shape - altitude kicks your butt
2. Spend time scouting on line ahead of the trip and a few days in person as well
3. Practice at ranges up to at least 300 yards to become quite comfortable with your gun. You might be up close in thick woods or in wide open territory. Don't be surprised when that lung shot elk doesn't drop right away, they are tough.
4. Have great boots well broken in and good layering clothing for all kinds of weather in the same week. In my pack I have an extra hat, an extra set of gloves and a down vest (when the weather looks good)
5. Know what to do when you kill an elk - get the hide off, have frame packs or rent a horse, hang meat in game bags away from the carcass etc. animals over 600 lbs are quite a bit different than deer.

You can buy an over the counter Bull tag and hunt public land in CO without horses or ATV's and do it for $1,500 or less but you need to be in shape. The hard part is that you could waste a long time without knowing your hunting area. Or you can write a $6-10,000 check and hunt a few hundred yards to a few miles inside private land, have the guides and staff drop you off at your spot, dress and haul your animal to the butcher and taxidermist, feed you gourmet meals and do everything but pull the trigger.

Two young guys on their first elk hunt from PA hunted the other side of the same small area we were on last year and both got bulls and cows on opening day, they rented horses to pack out the meat and were on their way home on day 3. They think this elk hunting stuff is easy.

We have a guy in our group, an experienced successful whitetail hunter, who has hunted 5 years now without killing an elk in the same general area. But he won't take a shot over 250 yards or with a questionable angle and has passed on a couple of bulls for that reason, he hasn't wanted to shoot a cow or he could have filled a tag a few times.

Read as much as you can and ask questions - what you see on TV in a few minutes of footage may not accurately represent your actual experience.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by specneeds:

My advice is:
1. Get in great shape - altitude kicks your butt
2. Spend time scouting on line ahead of the trip and a few days in person as well
3. Practice at ranges up to at least 300 yards to become quite comfortable with your gun. You might be up close in thick woods or in wide open territory. Don't be surprised when that lung shot elk doesn't drop right away, they are tough.
4. Have great boots well broken in and good layering clothing for all kinds of weather in the same week. In my pack I have an extra hat, an extra set of gloves and a down vest (when the weather looks good)
5. Know what to do when you kill an elk - get the hide off, have frame packs or rent a horse, hang meat in game bags away from the carcass etc. animals over 600 lbs are quite a bit different than deer.

Not to be trite, but read specneeds first point. Then read it again and again. If you are not now well conditioned get in good shape or your hunt may not be enjoyable.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another thought. Since you stated this will likely be in the next few years take a long weekend vacation to Rocky Mountain National Park this fall when the elk are bugling so you can study their anatomy and physical differences with deer. And you'll also experience how the altitude effects you and get a taste of some beautiful elk country. Just don't expect to bag a bull like you'll see in RMNP your first time out. Wink

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Mark at Hills Guide and Outfitters 970-487-3731. He runs an outfit out of Colbran, CO. Colorado has more elk than any other state or province in the world. This would be a great hunt for your first experience. Mark used to guide for me and I have known he and his wife for over 20 years now. These folks are straight shooters. (pun intended) Yes, this is a shameless endorsement but I have complete confidence in the recommendation.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote