New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark V test
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I normally don't start potentially flaming posts like this but here goes. Years ago Weatherby said in their literature (might still be there) that a way they tested their actions was to stuff a 180 gr 30 cal bullet up the barrel and fire a full power 300 Weatherby round behind it. They said there was no damage done to the rifle and the bolt was opened by hand (didn't say how hard it was). The primer was blown-that was it. Do you feel this test means much and do you believe it is factual?

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
I don't know if it was factual or not, but I do know I wouldn't be the one pulling the trigger. I do know of a guy who shot a 350 rem mag through a 338 win mag (no it wasn't me), but the bolt opened fine, the case looked like a 458 win mag with a roll crimp. I also know of someone who loaded a 300 win mag using 300 wby mag data and welded hi bolt shut. As far as a barrel obstruction, there was a guy at hunting camp that had a mud dobber build a nest in his barrel overnight, he didn't notice and when he shaot the the gun, the barrel split.

FWIW,

Jim

<Bily Lovec>
posted
read roy weatherby's biography, he talks about several of the test they did on the mark V action, that being one of them. He also stated they built a cradle and a remote trigger puller so no one would be near the thing when it went off...

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are pictures and documentation of Roy loading a 338 Winchester Magunum into an off the shelf 300 Weatherby,and fireing it from the shoulder without any kind of protective gear.He shot and the bolt opened and kicked the empty out.

The best one I've ever heard was in an old National Rifleman from the 1950s.Some idiot had a 6.5 Ariska rechambered to 30/06,but the even dumber gunsmith didn't rebore the barrel-he was shooting .308 bullets though a .264 bore.

He sent the gun in to the National Rifleman because "I can't figure out why it kicks so hard".The NR simply couldn't belive it-the gun functioned perfectly.They shot it from a machine rest and it worked like a charm,despite the fact that pressures would have been through the roof.Says a lot for the Ariska action!!

Bill Ruger took a 7mm Magnum round,loaded it to the mouth of the case with Unique,then seated a 175 grainer on top,put it in an off the shelf #1 rifle and touched her off.The only damage done was to the head of the case,which melted.The gun was perfect though.

[ 09-14-2002, 02:46: Message edited by: Brian M ]

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
The falling block came from artillery.
The barrel will blow up before the breech goes...

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Hey- R Waller - (from the banks of the SanJac)
my ancestor was Edward Burleson (battle of SanJac)