Find
Notify
Tools

Got some free venison
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

Fresh meat, first of the season. My neighbor's great pyrenese killed a buck fawn that jumped into their sheep pasture. Anyway, they didn't want it so I gladly grabbed it.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann:
Good thing that hound didn't take a bite.
Wouldn't be much left.
At least it didn't go to waste.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quartered it out and have it resting in the fridge for a few days. While the archery season is open here where I live, I have not started hunting yet. Still too warm to hang a full size deer carcass outside. Flies everywhere at sunup on this one.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did the dog have a deer tag? Big Grin

Seriously, congrats! Glad you got the free meat. Ought to be tender and tasty! tu2

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rabbit warden was perplexed when I called him to make the transaction legal. He does not understand livestock guardian dogs.

What was interesting was the abdominal cavity was completely full of blood when I butchered the carcass last night. Not sure how that happened? Nonetheless, he was completely bled out.

There were several bite-mark wounds on the backs of both hams noticeable upon skinning. The neighbor said the deer ran into the fence hard though and thought it broke its neck but that wasn't the case.

~Ann