Find
Notify
Tools

First Time Hunting with an AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
This year I decided to hunt with a 6.8 spc AR15 I put together when I purchased an upper from Precision Reflex. I was hunting in a box blind in timber. My shooting lane is about 10 yards wide with a feeder 50 yards out.

My place has been disappointing for deer the last 2 years. Haven't seen much at all. This year when I pulled the trail cam card, there were lots of deer. One particular deer showed up several times that was really nice. Hunting in an antler restricted county, I can either take a spike or a mature buck.

Opening day, I was on my stand at 5am and never left until 7pm. First buck came out at 10:30 & he was an 8 point. He was big bodied, extremely thick but his spread wasn't wide enough. He was a beautiful healthy buck. About noon, a spike buck came out. It was first day and I really was hoping the bigger buck I saw on the trail cam would come out so I held off. About 3pm another spike came out and I was really started to get tempted. I've not had venison for 2 years and I would have shot the first legal deer I saw if I didn't know this other buck was out there. Later 3 does came out before dark but the buck I was looking for never showed up.

Day 2, I was on the stand again at 5am-6pm with daylight change. I saw 3 does all day. I started thinking damn, I blew my shot at some venison as I could hear shots fired around the county.

Day 3, got to my stand at 5:30. I pretty much decided the first legal deer I saw I was going to take. The weather was going to be much warmer today and I really just wanted venison although a big deer would have been a plus.

Just after sunrise a spike came out. I placed the lighted reticle low just behind the shoulder for heart lung shot. He dropped immediately kicked a few times and it was over. I finally got my venison.

It's a two buck county so maybe I'll see the big guy later in the season.

As for using an AR. It was extremely handy in the cramped blind. The lighted reticle is great in dark timber for visibility and fast target acquisition and the 6.8 spc with 115 Fusion bullets had plenty of power for whitetail.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS Scott on a job well done. Aren't does legal in your county?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only 4 days from Thanksgiving to the following Sunday. I swear they have a calendar hanging in their bedding areas because they disappear those 4 days.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
What buttstock is that? Thinking of doing a collapsible stock build so my daughter can shoot my AR. It's an A2 buttstock now

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a VlTOR IMOD clubfoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice AR.Good eatin right there!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote