New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Hunt Results
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from Idaho and took my best deer ever. I spent 2 weeks hunting and shot this guy on the next to last day.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck. Where were you hunting?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Very nice whitetail. Congrats. I love hunting in the snow.

Will you share with us the story? Rifle? bullet, handload? shot distance?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck! Congratulations! Sounds like you definitely put in your time and earned him.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats on a very nice buck---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
3 cheers for the Idaho panhandle??!!

Nice Work!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man yeah! Congratulations!

Like the others though, how `bout some DETAILS!!! Big Grin Take us through the hunt with you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I didn't notice the double white throat patch the first time. Very nice cape on that buck.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Nice buck! I have a hunting partner who lives near Boise, who is leaving tomorrow for the Panhandle to hunt deer with a friend of his who lives up there. Hope he gets one as nice as your's.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well we hunted all over the panhandle of Idaho. We spent 3 days in the Dent Acres area and seen a ton of deer sign but the area was just about as thick as here in NC so we headed about three hours ( on logging roads) north of Pierce... Way the hell up in the middle of nowhere on the headwaters of the North Fork of the Clearwater. We hunted there for about a week and saw a lot of elk and ruffed grouse and a few does but no bucks. This area was pretty thick as well but there were a lot of clearcuts to glass. We then headed for more open country on public land north of Winchester, ID.

On the third day there we headed out just after daylight heading toward an open meadow to glass. We saw 4 does running across an opening and I squated down and waited. Just as we were about to move on I noticed a deer coming off the ridge where the does had come. He crossed into an opening and I saw antlers then went back into another clump of trees. At 75 yards he came clear again and I could tell he was big. My brother behind me grunted him to a stop and I prepared to squeeze the trigger. He looked at us and lunged forward as I swung on him with the scope and fired at about 60 yrds. I could hear the whack of a hit but knew I had hit him a little far back. He hit the brush about 70 yards with his tail between his legs. We went to check the spot and found a good bunch of blood and a small piece of lung!

We waited about thirty minutes and started tracking but jumped him again about 50 yards away. We sat down and waited another hour til about 8:45 am. We then tracked him about 100 yards further to where he had bedded down in a 500 yard clearing. As my luck would have it, damn coyotes had jumped him up and he had headed into a thicket of pines. By then my other brother had joined us and the three of us worked together. I stayed on the blood trail (thank God for the snow) while they circled around on each side of the pine thicket. All of a sudden I heard one brother say "He's Up", Boom Boom. "He's Down"...

The deer fell about twenty yards in front of me as we all converged and checked him out. I had hit him at a quartering angle and too far back and only caught the bottom of the far lung. The 270 140grn Accubond did tremendous damage and exited even at the quartering angle. I think if the coyotes would not have jumped him up out of the meadow he would probably bled out where he bedded.

All in all I had a great time and saw a lot of great country. We hope to do this all over again in Montana next year (one brother lives in Idaho the other in Montana!)