Find
Notify
Tools

cow elk call suggestions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted
Leaving for Colorado in a month and it was recommended to me that I bring a cow call.
Can anyone offer a suggestion for a reliable, easy to use cow call?

Thanks.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Triple4
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I appreciate the advice.

Posts: 1327 | Location: SW Pennsylvania | Registered: 17 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carltons Fighting Cow. Single reed, not hard to use and it is small.

Also works great as a varmint call in a pinch.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you aren't a good caller and have time to practice the Hoochie Mama one or something like that is a good way to go.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not buy the hoochie mama. Way over used and scares elk now. Learn to use a diapharm or other mouth call. I like bugleing bull calls single reed.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt you DI - but I did have one come and bring about 10 cows along in tow.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCEERY makes a couple great cow calls.
Like someone mentioned, don't over call.
Good luck on your hunt.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with bite calls. Like diaphragms, you can use them without hands. I've found that handy. The one I use the most is a custom made by Orion game calls. It's front and center in this picture of last year's cow elk.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several great suggestions.

If you are willing to practice, I would use a diaphram call. They are cheap and I would experiment with a few different types.

I would still buy a Hoochie Mama if you do not want to put the time in to practice. Yes, they are over used. However, on an early season hunt (first few days), I would give it a try.

It worked well on last years hunt.

Having said this, I would use it SPARINGLY! Like bugles, many people over use them in the field. It won't take an elk long to wise up with over calling!

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Later in the season you are not calling to call them in. You might, but by that time, they are usually done with rutting.

You are more keeping them from pinpointing you as a human. Call sparingly, do not walk in a standard human pattern of one foot after the other. And it can help to have a walking stick to break up the sound of your steps.

A cow call can work wonders to keep a group of elk calm while you approach in loud conditions.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey honey - can i buy you a drink

sorry - the devil made me do it Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote