THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Big Buck in a Hog Trap! Check out these pics!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Big Buck in a Hog Trap! Check out these pics!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
I gotta agree with the Digital guy here.

First I can't believe the buck didn't kill himself trying to escape and second he looks like he'll probably die from the stress shortly after being freed.

I think the trap owner should be as careful as possible to exclude deer and if he can't exclude them should consider not trapping in this area.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted links to these pics on some other forums but figured some folks here might want to see them.

http://www.worldshooter.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=182

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
PULL!

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Gives a whole new meaning to the term - TURKEY shoot, "aka" DEER shoot?

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Gives a whole new meaning to the term - TURKEY shoot, "aka" DEER shoot?

Tell me about it

Posts: 190 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a nice buck but I wonder how many realize how badly that stresses a deer? Folks that know which way is up go to great lengths to keep deer out of hog traps by way of entrance design and such, reason being that they will frequently beat themselves to death when approached in that circumstance. Even with open top traps.

You'll notice that the deer's mouth is open in the trap photos as if he is panting...well, that's because he is. Next up is filling his belly with water...

They can be set free if you want to spend a fair amount of time, but I hate seeing them in pens like that. JMO

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey how else would you 45-70 lovers be able to hit a buck like that !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a grandfather that traps hogs for the different landowners around him in central texas. In one trap he caught 3 bucks in three consecutive days(one each day). He had to shut the trap down. Crazy.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have a couple hog traps on my ranch. I have one that is close to one of the protein feeders, the door is wired open, with no bait inside, on many occasions I have watched both Red Deer and Mule Deer get in the trap look around and leave.

Many occasions.

I have not set them in a long while, and I do not believe I will.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote