New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for rabbit near Denver?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wanting to give rabbit hunting a shot this winter. Do any of you locals have any suggestions within an hour or so of Denver? Mountain or prairie, doesn't really matter. Want to take a whack at the rabbits

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot a lot of them on the Pawnee National Grasslands. Go north to Ft Collins and then east on HWY 14. When you go through Briggsdale you're there.

Lots of gullies and abandoned farm houses there if you do a little looking. At first glance it looks like flat prarie but get off the roads and it gets pretty amazing.

This won't fall in the hr from Denver category, but it is within 2 hrs. You could try the South Platte River arounf Brush and Ft Morgan too. Several state wildlife areas there.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
If you come up to Pawnee look me up, I'm in Windsor and on the way. I'll buy you lunch

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll do that Drummond. Always wanted to meet you!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could stop by BassPro on your way and tune up on prairie rats near the parking lot

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of rabbits are in Colorado? Cottontail, Jack, Snowshoe, other?

Do you use dogs?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
When I lived there in the early 90s I used to go east from Denver toward Byers or north toward Ft Collins and ask farmers and ranchers if I could rabbit hunt. Nearly everyone would allow me to do so. Once in a while I would even get a shot at a pheasant.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

I've killed some of those p-dogs before, in a professional sense lol

bja,

I believe snowshoe hare, cottontails and jack rabbits out on the plains. I don't use dogs, you CAN use dogs depending on the season, but not while there is a big game season going on. Doubt you'd really need them here though, its not as thick as what you'd be used to back east. For us, deep, thick, nasty dense cover is probably like shooting across a field for you guys LOL

Perry,
thanks!