New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Michigan?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be in Holland, Mi weekend of Aug 1 visiting a friend. We have all weekend to just bum around. Any suggestions on what we should do?

In doing some initial research, it looks like Sleeping Bear Dunes Park and Mackinac Island would be cool to see. Any other ideas? Suggestions?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry Ford Musium/Greenfield Village (Dearborn), if you like the history stuff that is.

Plan on spending a full day on the Mackinaw Island trip, between the drive and the ferry plus sightseeing.
From Mackinaw, it's just a short drive north across Yooper Land to the Soo (Sault St Marie) (see also the Soo Locks). Crossing the crick at the Soo, will put you in Canada, where a discriminating gentleman can sit back and enjoy the talented ladies of the "Canadian Ballet".

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FROM HOLLAND, you are at least 2- 2 1/2 hrs from Mackinaw Island. It is a unique step back in time if you manage to get out of the "fudgie zone" where all the tourist shops are. Pretty scenery, lots of history predating the revolutionary war when the trappers worked the area.

You are about the same time from Metro Detroit area where you could go see the Tigers lose a baseball game.

You are on the picturesque side of the state. just a drive up the western shore up to Cross village is a great trip.

If you are going back West after you leave, think about using the car ferry from Ludington to Manitowac Wisc. A pleasant 4+ hr cruise across Lake Michigan the gets you North of Chcago and Millwaulke.

Since you are from Texas, you will find Michigan is a state with LOTS of WATER.
Grand Rapids to the North is Michgans 2nd bigget city but it doesn't seem that big. The Grand River runs through it and is quite pretty and it wrecks havoc on that part of the state. (it tends to overflow every now and then)

Ther are LOTS of the typical tourist things to do on the West side of the state, just drive North and you will find them.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! I'm thinking about trying to camp in one of the wilderness camping areas in Sleeping Bear Dunes, and spending a day on Machinac. Should be a great trip!

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just 15 minutes up the road towards Grand Rapids ,right on I 196, and you are welcome to stop in for Coffee or a pop and swap a lie or two.

Jsut give me a call. 616-836-7572 anytime.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texan,

If you have access to a 4x4, you could visit the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. You will be able to drive right down to Lake Michigan and be a beach bum, or you could tear up the dunes with your truck or ORV. Silver Lake is located Between Muskegon and Ludington off of 31.
There are also alot of charter boats in Pentwater were you could go out on the big water and catch some salmon or brown trout, fishing is exellent this time of year.
Enjoy the trip!!!
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on the east side of the lower peninsula, been a while though. IIRC, in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula there is a pretty sizeable town called Traverse City. If you've got the time and are going up to Mackinaw, take a lakeside drive through it. Real nice scenery. It might be a little early in the season, but I think the cherry trees should be producing right about now. More cherries there than you would believe. Fishing's pretty good, too; Big and Little Bay DeNoc are the big ones. Been a while since I've been back over that way, but I shouldn't be too far off the mark.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the fishing off of Holland is very good, I would recomend a salmon trip. or if you have the time, cross the bridge into some of the wildest forested country you will ever see.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are a Hemingway buff get a copy of "Hemingway in Michigan" and drive up to the Traverse City-Charlevoix area. The book is a great guided tour to the areas where Hemingway hung out after WWI, and the parts of the area that appear in his short stories.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm from Traverse City and we do have some nice camping up here. Both modern and primitive. Sleeping Bear Dunes is about 30 minutes west of here. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from Holland. Salmon are just now starting to bite, if you're interested in a half day charter check out some charters in Saugatuck, Manistee or Ludington. (all within a 1 1/2 hour drive from Holland. (I grew up in Holland)
There's some great siteseeing up here, from Frankfort to NOrthport, Traverse City to Charlevoix lots of water, woods, and rivers.
Mackinac Island is a neat place to visit but it's pure tourist with lots of fudge shops and t-shirt joints. Figure on about a 4 hour drive from Holland. I think you'll like the sunset side of Michigan, temps are great with low humidity, clear water, cool breezes, and lots of trees. The farther north you go the prettier it gets.
Oh ya, and while you're in Holland be sure an buy a pair of real woodshoes. They make for great conversation once you bring them home.
Heck, and old Dutchman like Blauwkamp may have a few old pair in his basement he'd give you [Smile]

[ 07-19-2003, 18:09: Message edited by: jbmi ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Driving over the Mackinac Bridge is a thrill in itself. Everybody should do it a couple of times. Besides the spectacular veiw, you have to appreciate the engineering of it.

[ 07-19-2003, 19:50: Message edited by: waxman ]

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Mackinaw Island, the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn for sure, Greektown in Detroit.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay along the Lake Michigan shore. With limited time there is no sense heading inland or to the east side. I think the Coast Guard festival is this coming weekend in Grand Haven which is just north of Holland. The straits area is pretty but that is a long haul if you only have a weekend. Salmon fishing is heating up so a half day charter could be good fun.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote