THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Idaho Department of Fish and Wolves Survey

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Department of Fish and Wolves Survey
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey, all you 25-06 Elk hunters (and you normal people Wink) This is a survey on a possible Bonus Point System here in Idaho.

You have no right to bitch if you don't make yourself heard. (Don't worry, you can still be one).

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming is doing the same, I recieved a survey a few weeks ago.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I commented. Thanks for the link. I even suggested they lower the min caliber for elk to 22-250. haha

Point systems are great IF:
-There are enough tags that everyone can cycle through the system in 2 or 3 years.
-You are able to apply at the time they start the point system.

Otherwise, it only benefits those who can apply when the system starts.

For example, in Utah moose tag odds are 1 in 100 to 1 in 400+. THe point system started in 1993, so everyone who was able to apply at that arbitrary point in time benefits, while those who came along just 5 years later will never benefit. Wyoming's sheep it the same situation, as is Colorado's high quality elk system.

On the other hand, Colorado and Wyoming have non-resident point systems that work well for deer and antelope because they give enough tags to somewhat meet the demand.

I would like to see no point system for tags with odds higher than 1 in 50 and make those tags Once-In-A-lifetime. Think about it, with points it will take you 50 years to draw the tag. You start at age 12 and get the tag at age 62. It should just be left up to luck.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. Smiler

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. I especially like the "squaring" of your accumulated points. I wish Montana would do that.

quote:
I even suggested they lower the min caliber for elk to 22-250. haha

I have several friends in Montana that have killed a pile of elk with their .22-250's. stir

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the squaring of points or Colorado's Sheep system where a person must apply for a certain number of years before they can draw. I just hate when very limited tags go to those with the most points when people below will never draw in their life. And I used and benefitted from Utah's system to draw the best moose tag in the state. I even tried to change the system before I drew because my boys will never draw.

Buffy- tu2 We'd better not get into those stories. hahaha

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just say NO to bonus points and preference points. Idaho currently has the best drawing system around - straight random draw each year.

Bonus points shut out kids and new hunters, and actually make draw odds worse for all but the very first applicants. Tell Idaho NO to bonus points.

Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
Just say NO to bonus points and preference points. Idaho currently has the best drawing system around - straight random draw each year.

Bonus points shut out kids and new hunters, and actually make draw odds worse for all but the very first applicants. Tell Idaho NO to bonus points.

Bill

Ya, but bonus pts and pref point are two TOTALLY different things. I agree, pref points no, but bonus points are a good thing, in my opinion. All bonus points do is give more chance for one to draw based on longevity, but new applicants still have the chance to draw.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me its more about revenue than anything else. While the extra 4.50 for a bonus point is not a whole lot of money, its not even a good cup of coffee in some places. It adds up quick with a lot of applications. Idaho Fish and game like a lot of them needs money, fewer hunters and fisherman buying lic and stuff, Pittman Roberson taxes, they come up short. Then they go do stupid things like bringing in Wolves and well you get the drift! Why buy elk and deer tags when there are no elk or deer to shoot? They created a mess, that is going to take a couple of generations to fix, all the while people find other things to do. Hunting in America will be just about done in another two generations. And its not going to be for the lack of game or places to hunt or fish, its the never ending rule making and feel good politics that will do it in.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote