THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Milk River Outfitters--Anyone hunted mulies with them?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Milk River Outfitters--Anyone hunted mulies with them?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thanks in advance, I'm looking for info. re:their operation...

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have had a number of our clients hunt with Milk River and felt it was good experience. I have been on two ranches they have on the Powder River with a client and was impressed with both properties. Our client shot a very nice Mule deer on that hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully I can get 2 pics posted from this trip. My friend and client was in his early seventies and was trying to recover from knee surgery. So we were very, very limited in mobility. He shot the mule deer, his first, while it was preoccupied with a hot doe. Another 175 class Mule deer and a 150-155 class double drop tine whitetail was taken the same day we shot the mule deer. I saw 3 other Mule deer bucks taken that week that were all in the 170 to 185 class range. We had lunch with Eric Albus and a hunter from New Zealand one afternoon that took the whitetail that is shown in the 2 pics. I also heard that a 160 class whitetail was taken the day after we left. I was impressed with country and the outfitter.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
The only thing I would be concerned with about the Milk River area would be the massive die off due to EHD. EHD hits whitetail harder than any other species but mule deer are susceptible as well.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EHD did a number 2 years ago in N/NE MT......I saw far fewer good bucks than prior years....how long should the recovery take? My buds out there told me maybe 7-8 years. I've been to the Milk River 6 times in the last 8 years and taken a few decent whitetail.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
EHD did a number 2 years ago in N/NE MT......I saw far fewer good bucks than prior years....how long should the recovery take? My buds out there told me maybe 7-8 years. I've been to the Milk River 6 times in the last 8 years and taken a few decent whitetail.

It could take longer than that to get "trophy" bucks as they need time to mature. I would say it will take at least that long to get it back to where it was.

That being said, there will still always be a few good deer running around

Sorry for the thread hijack but it's something that the OP should has to consider IMO

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy's photos:

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joester:
Thanks in advance, I'm looking for info. re:their operation...

According to Eric Albus, the owner of Milk River Outfitters, there has been a tremendous die-off of deer in his area. See this article which quotes Eric himself:

http://billingsgazette.com/new...c3-00400ecf7874.html

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. I actually won this hunt thru MDF. I've talked now w/Eric, he seems like a great guy. I'll actually be looking for a cape rather than antlers b/c I was fortunate enough to get an SCI top ten mule deer on a friend's ranch and it needs to be remounted. My wife will be the hunter on this trip & she'll also apply for a cow elk tag as we are essentially meat hunters when it comes to hunting US/Canada. My big mulie notwithstanding!