Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody use Ameristep Pop-up blinds?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I am looking at the Ameristep pop-up blinds, the Intimidator, Dominator or Brickhouse blinds.

Anyone with any experience with this companies blinds?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I bought an Ameristep back in 2000. It was one of the spring steel models and it was a P.O.S.!! Very noisy and you needed a fair number of tie downs to keep it from colapsing in a moderate wind. Maybe their new models have improved...maybe not? My advice is to buy a Double Bull and don't look back.

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Which model did you buy? Some of them are very cheap some are expensive.

I would expect poor performance from a cheap model.

I am trying to determine if the new Intimidator or Dominator are worth the $$

posted Hide Post
I bought a hayhouse blind for goose hunting and agree with the P.O.S. assessment. Hard to fold, cheap materials, and ripped before I even got it into the field. Don't get one that used the steel spring type set up.

Posts: 8 | Location: denver, co, usa | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Bowhunr,

Was yours a spring steel type?

The spring steel type look to be the cheapest type. Anyone try the Hub-style blinds? This hub style looks to be the same stlye as the Double Bull.

I know an outfitter in Nebraska that uses the Ameristep Brickhouse (a hub style blind) he loves them. But looking for others opinions.

Thanks guys.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Yeah Wendell, mine was the spring steel type. Not really a cheapy though as I remember paying close to two-hundred bucks for it. Although by the looks of the hub-style that Ameri-step is making now it is a much better product. How does Ameri-step compare price wise with Double Bull?

Mike

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Ameristep Doghouse(2 person) and it works as stated. I rarely use anything but the pop up itself, never used the stakes or the FG roof poles. Very easy to use and a real life saver on rainy or cold days.

I had two does and a spike come with in 5 feet of me. I shot the biggest buck of my life out of it a few hours later. It hides your movement and breaks up your form. It might help a little with scent containment as well.

The guy I was hunting with gave me a hard time for not using a climber but ended up eating crow.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I am researching this for blinds for my ranch. Since I am going to be buying a few of them, the cost of the double Bull is more than what I want to spend, if the Ameristep is a reasonably comperable product.

Ameristep has given me good pricing under an outfitters program. Double Bull will consider an outfitter discount on some used units, but it is not too much.

Ameristep Intimidator and Dominator are $250 and $280 respectively (retail).

Double Bull Matrix is $400 - $440 retail.

They look comperable, same size, similar construction. I may need to go to Bass Pro or Cabelas and climb in each of them and see if I can determine a difference.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

You sparked my curiousity, so I took my lunch break at our local Bass Pro. They only had the Dominator as a display, but I must admit the quality seems very good and they are not even in the same league as the spring steel models. Double bull still seems beefier (is that a word?) but given your situation I wouldn't be affraid to try them out.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used an Ameristep Blind last year during opening day of gun season in November. It was the first and last day that I used it. It was relatively simple to set up, but a task to take it down, and in the cold, the rod connector broke in 2 places, making it useless after sitting in the woods for about 14 hours. I returned it and instead got one of the smaller double bull blinds.

If you are willing to pay $280 for an Ameristep, why not go with a proven product like double bull. The Matrix is a top of the line blind built for 2 people. I myself have a T2, which is a triangle shape, as opposed to the cube like the Matrix or T5 (the latter is only $350 retail by the way). I've been very happy with my blind since. My Dad has a T5 that he uses by himself, but because of its size, we always have the option of hunting together.

Sometimes you can even find blinds on eBay for $50 or more off the retail price.

Sorry if this sounds like an advertisement, but if my $110 Ameristep can't last one day, I'll gladly take my T2 for $300.

Posts: 58 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wendell,

You sparked my curiousity, so I took my lunch break at our local Bass Pro.

I almost did the same! Thanks for doing the research for me.

Gibson, looks like your Ameristep was a cheap model as well. I think cheap is cheap, no matter who makes it. I agree, I would rather spend twice as much to get something that is quality. But I am not looking at just one blind. The difference could be substantial.

Let's just say that Ameristeps outfitter pricing is very attractive. Double Bull's pricing is not. In the end the difference is sizable with th enumber of blinds I want.

I have no interest in their cheap models, Ameristep or Double Bull. I need one that will accommodate two hunters.

Thanks for the help guys.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

I've killed a lot of deer from Ameristep blinds, all archery so they were close. The large one which will fit two people I think was called the Penthouse. I was reading a newspaper one day and had a big doe come in.

In RSA, last year I used a Double Bull a few times and got nothing. It flapped in the wind so bad no animals would come near it.

I think any of these types of blinds will be noisy/useless in strong wind. The do keep the rain off you and do reduce scent issues.

~Ann

Posts: 19271 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The good blinds for Ameristep start with the Doghouse TSC (Not just the Doghouse, Note: the TSCs are nicer and in fact bigger).

Me and a buddy put two Doghouse TSCs up for Turkey Season. These blinds can easily be left out for a month or so, but do treat them with a tent waterproofing agent like "Campdry" before you do this. Longest I've had mine up was 5 months.

Toss the included stakes and get some heavy duty nylon tent stakes. Also weight the corners of the blind down with something heavy inside. Like a bucket of sand Wink Then they can withstand heavy winds much better.

The Brickhouse TSC is reported by friends to be even nicer. Hub style blinds are typically easier for folks to fold. Although if you actually read the instructions the springsteel style ones aren't that tough either.

The Outhouse blind is an entry level economy POS. Don't judge the entire company based on this blind.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann and Big Guy, that is the kind of practical experience I am looking for.

I think any "tent type" blind is going to blow in the wind. There is no way around that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Wendell,

I have the hub-style Ameristep Brickhouse TSC and used it here last fall here in Iowa. I love the roominess, it is easy to set up, and for what I paid for it on sale, serves my purposes perfectly well. I've used my neighbor's DB T2 on a couple of hunts, and while mine is no more apt to flap in a breeze than his, I do think his will last a bit longer. I also wish I'd gotten a different camo pattern on mine - it is pretty green and a bit shiny for my taste - but then again, I didn't notice that was causing any problems for the animals, and a guy should really be brushing them in a bit anyway.

Best,
Jeff

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I think I will get a couple Double Bulls and a couple Ameristep Intimidators. We will see how the Ameristep holds up to the Double Bulls.

I like the idea of a "beefier" blind. Anything that is going to be heavily used, should be built heavy. Weight is not an issue. The Kawasaki Mule will haul a dozen Double Bulls if need be.

Thanks for the advice, I had not considered the Double Bull until posting this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell: Before you do that, just for grins, check out Cabela's Four Season Blind for $179. It has more than ample room for two hunters, is tall enough that you don't have to squat over to get in and out of it and has 360 degree vantage windows. Staked down properly, I have had no problem with mine. My first blind was an Ameristep Doghouse. Used it in New Mexico for elk hunting. The wind did kick it around, but it held up okay. The Cabela's blinds have the ragged edges so the outline is broken. You need to set them up near some large brush. For hunters not able to get around well, like I am, these blinds keep me in the field. Anyway, I really like the quality of the Cabela's blind and it too, stands up well in the wind. Good Luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I think I will get a couple Double Bulls and a couple Ameristep Intimidators. We will see how the Ameristep holds up to the Double Bulls.

I like the idea of a "beefier" blind. Anything that is going to be heavily used, should be built heavy. Weight is not an issue. The Kawasaki Mule will haul a dozen Double Bulls if need be.

Thanks for the advice, I had not considered the Double Bull until posting this.

Wendell,

I realize it will be a while before you can make the call on which is better, but when that time comes I'd love to know the outcome.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I will keep you guys posted. I will probably buy them within a month or so, and start testing them before the season, just with a camera.

Nothing like a good field test to separate the good from the bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Ameristep Doghouse blinds (pop-up), and love 'em.

Before I took them out in the field, I practiced over and over how to fold them back up.
Once you learn the secret, it takes about 60 seconds to take down and get it back in it's carry bag.

I usually keep one blind up (in the same location) for the season, and use the second blind for new spots.

It keeps the wind off of me, and lets me read a book while keeping an eye out for game.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try this. It's not as pack-up-portable as a pop-up, but a lot cheaper and easy if you have a P/U. It's very simple. Take a gate/fence panel. If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a 12'-20' x 5' wire panel that looks similar to the wire used in cement foundations. Roll this up in a big circle and clamp. It will be around 5' diameter, depending on panel length. Cut a door about 3'x3' and use clamps for hindges. Next take a roll of the cheap camo burlap and cover it. When you set it up you can use natural cover to help hide it.Cut about 4-6 shooting holes by removing one of the panel wires, and cut the burlap so that you can see out. Use a 1"x6"x long enough to'rest' between two shooting holes to use as a rest. You should have a decent fairly portable blind. If you want a floor or roof, use your imagination. If you want to make it semi-perminant or wind is a problem, use a metal fence post. I hope my description is good enough for you to get the idea. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Captdavid,

I have done that with cattle panels before. The lack of a good roof is the downfall of that system. I know, You can make a roof, but .... anyway, it works ok in some instances.

I have a couple like that that I put cedar branches in on a ridge. They are ok, and a very inexpensive option. Practically indestructible too, but they just won't work like a full pop-up blind.

I cut my panel in 3 pieces and wire them back together so they hinge. It folds flat and you can set it up and it stands on it's own.

Maybe some others will find this useful. It is a nice cheap alternative, but it is no pop-up!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are not p/us. they are great to use as extra blinds or other senderos on a feeder. Under a tree, while pig hunting in the heat, they can be cooler than out-house blinds or pop-ups. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Double Bull T5 ProStaff and Ameristep Doghouse and Brickhouse and love them. I like the Doghouse for slingin it on my back and hiking in a ways. The Double Bull is better when weight is not problem cuz it doesn't billow in and out as much in the wind.

The hub blinds are nice but dayum I've busted hubs/struts on both. No matter how careful you are the strut hubs are cast metal and some of the struts have cast metal on the ends. I called the companies and they sent a free replacement for both. Just wish they would take a little more stress when trying to figure out which way the dern things fold up in the dark.

They'll still set up with a broken strut or hub but I'd get some spares just in case.

It ain't no tea party taking them things down. Trying to work an umbrella in gale force winds it easier IMHO

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm going on my third season with the Ameristep Bighouse blind. Our group bought 3 of these models which have the hub style. The 1st time using them 2 of our group had the hub pull through the camo material. It's definetly a POS but can be fixed for a $5.00 investment. if you attach large rubber fender washers on the outside material it will keep it from pulling through. My wife and I can both fit comfortably with comfy chairs in this thing. We've killed numerous deer out of this blind and have yet to be busted. It cost me $160 for this and with the quick fix should last another 3 seasons.

Posts: 24 | Location: Black hills,SD | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote