New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheepherder Tent for Elk Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hunted last year out of a SUV and a backpacking tent, and walked in. This year I am thinking of buying a wall tent and a stove, and figure a sheepherder tent (cross between a pyramid and a wall tent) would be about right for 1-3 hunters.

Anybody have any experience with these? The Cabelas alaknak tent is of the same shape but waterproof fabric. I figure to go with canvas.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a canadian army surplus cold weather tent, sounds like what you want. It's nice but too heavy to pack. Stay with a dome style tent, buy a multi candle lantern and use that it will dry the tent out quite well at night.

the chef

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The Kodiak from Reliable Tent in Billings, MT is on sale until March 31st. It is as easy to put up as a spike/sheepherder tent and is roomier. If you don't need flame retard you can get one for $500. An XLTex fly is $200. Top end with flame retard, fly and snap in floor would be $1005. Three guys could live in luxury with this tent.

for Kodiak tent info click here

Either a Sims Sportsmans stove or the amazing lightweight box stoves from Empire Canvas would work great. Sims Sportsman stove Empire Snowtrekker stoves

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go for a wall tent. The extra height makes the total froor space useable. Get the zipper door and sod cloths. This will eliminate air leaks and make for a really cozy camp. I've alway used visqueen or plastic tarps over the top. Leak proof and snow slides off with little effort. Also lots easier to fold up when it's not frozen. Used this set up for over 20 years in the outfit 'biz. If you are thinking of carrying this on your back, forget it. Go with a Kifaru para-tent and their little folding wood stove.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using an Alaknak for a number of years and have had great luck with it. It tolerates wicked weather and heats great with a sheepherders stove. I have used in during early spring bear hunts and late season elk hunts. I have the 12 x 12 model. It holds three with gear comfortably and 4 with some crowding. I would recommend the extra roof panel if you use the stove and the extra floor is handy for clean up after the hunt.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. Good Hunting!

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

posted Hide Post
I have hunted out oof the wall tent
(sheepherder tent) for a # of years.
On my second one. Be careful what you buy there is some trash out there. The treated canvas (fire retardant) in I believe either 10 or 12 ounce is the best. Some of the newer materials are okay if you are packing in but they dont breath well (rain inside from dew). Also make sure the seams are double stitched with nylon webbing reinforcements on the stress points.
A good stove will drive you out of the tent even in a blizzard. Tarp on top is great in a snow storm.
Frame can be made pretty easy if you want made out of 1" or 3\4" conduit. Which is kind of expencive now.

Posts: 13 | Location: Lindon Utah | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Colorado Tent Company's Canvas A-Wall tents. I and my buds have been using them since 1978, with complete satisfaction, in some mighty harsh weather.

They are presently having a Spring Sale, 15% off regular prices until March 31.

You will not regret buying one of their tents.

www.coloradotents.net

Good luck. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I have had all my wall tents made by the local canvas man which is usually much cheaper than buying one elsewhere and you get exactly what you want.Depending how much you will use it,Marine Canvas is worth the extra bucks.

Good luck in your choice...Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother and I hunted out of the 7x9 tent made by Empire Canvas Works---

www.empirecanvasworks.com

the tents are light when compared to other wall tents and they come with poles and they're pretty easy to set up and they pack up pretty small also--

he now has new lighter and better mat'l on the way--we used the small stove that he sells also and were quite comfortable--I would say it would be crowded for 3 men unless you put all your gear outside the tent under a tarp---we kept some gear inside(clothes) and put all the hunting stuff outside and there would've been no room for a 3rd man unless we put our clothes outside also---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Chris Davis
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a WALL tent over the sheepherders tent. I work for Davis Tent and Awning (My grandpa started the company in 1987). I am not trying to sell you anything, I would just like to worn you about Herder tents. The hearder tent is a good summer tent but that is it. The main thing we don’t like is the zipper on the herder tent goes up the roof and if you got some snow the night befor the first guy up get wet. Like Utahcowboy said there is a lot of trash out there. Have company’s send you sample canvas. The best in the industry is Sunforger canvas.

I hope this help
Chris Davis

Posts: 14 | Location: Golden, Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've use a 12x15 wall tent for years now. I started using this cargo trailer for cooking when we went to 3 people.

Posts: 35 | Location: Wyo | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A wall tent and a stove can be a fabulous thing, especially in miserable wet weather. But, they are heavy. This year I substituted our 70lb wall tent for a 6 man Cabelas outback lodge and didn't regret that decision at all. It kept us dry in both rain and snow and only weighed 20lbs, saving us the need for an extra horse. A hunt later in the season would have warranted the wall tent and stove though.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Elk Camp from this year, A Sheridan Tent and Awning tent and a full fly with a 10ft front awning. Fire wood cooking Etc. done under the awning.We had an 8in snow and it just slide off and the inside stays dry, not clammy

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote