New
Find
Notify
Tools

Craig, Colorado
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
Anybody every hunted Elk around Craig, Colorado. If so, what did you think of the area as far as Elk hunting is concerned?

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My parents have a small farm east of Craig, and I have hunted the region a lot. Send me a PM with where, when, and how you plan to hunt, and I will see if I can help you.

Dave

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the "area around Craig". Much of the area around Crain is open, rolling sage. Many antelope and quite a few elk. It is unusual in that area to find big trophy bulls as it is so open.
Some of the mountainous areas around Craig have many elk and some big ones. Quite a bit of private land so access can be an issue.

If somebody has an "in", I would advise going for it.

Posts: 165 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted between Craig and Meeker since 1992 in unit 12, that takes more Elk each year than some states. Nothing huge but some very nice Bulls and have seen some dandies that outsmarted me thus far. There is always next season to look forward to. The last two seasons cow tags over the counter made a meat and trophy combo hunt possible. Happiness is the first morning on Thornburgh mountain. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of elk, lots of deer, lots and lots (and lots) of hunters

Posts: 30 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted the Craig area since 1988. As has been mentioned a lot of elk in the area but chance for a good bull is tuff unless you can get on a good piece of private property. I hunted mostly north of town in the Rout National Forrest. South towards Meeker near Hamilton is an area I have had good success at also. There is big timber in the area so you are not limited to sage and scub oak alone. Some of the most popular areas can get crowded though so watch which area you pick if you choose public land.