New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Out of state hunting question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you're flying, just skin it right away, reduce the size as much as you can and pack it in coolers from the closest Kmart. Your biggest problem will be getting it cooled out the night before you leave. If it's properly cooled out, it's not going to spoil on a one-day flight.

Dry ice is fine, but the airlines hate it because they have to fill out paperwork when it's included in the baggage hold. I've seen them overlook a too-heavy cooler rather than fill out the dry ice paperwork. They don't like water ice any better.

Posts: 14435 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dry ice can be a problem with airlines, especially at hunting season. Dry ice sublimates to CO2, and can raise the CO2 levels in the cargo hold to levels that are intolerable for pets. If there's a dog booked to go on the plane (more dogs flying at bird season), then that may cause a problem for the airline. As has been suggested, just bone out the meat and pack it in a cooler with no extra ice. It won't spoil on the flight home, but you have to deal with it immediately on your arrival.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm finding this very interesting as I will have to do this in Montana this year and in Mongolia two years from now, but I'm curious about the antlers. Do you guy's just tape them together then send them on their way or do you put them in some sort of conatiner as well?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote