New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose in Vermont?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Long story short, my daughter is dating the son of a very high person at Essex Timber in Vermont and the father has extended an invitation to hunt Moose on the 86,000 acres they own.

The question is, what do you know about the chances of obtaining tags (any tag would be nice). I have read that it is a draw with 10% going to non-residents and preferrence points, but that is basically all I know. Any advice would be appreciated, Are there land owner tags, or the equivalent that can be transferred?

Thanks.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
They are pretty slim Larry, even for residents. Moose have various hunting units so a lot can depend on which unit the property is located in and how many people apply. One of my friends here drew a cow tag for 2007, she applied for 15 years and is a resident.

Obviously 10% of the available tags will be given to non residents and there will be people who will get lucky on that first application. All you can do is keep applying.

It has been explained to me that the moose tag is pretty much shared, you pick a second gun for the hunt. Most people split their meat with their partner.

Our DNR website posts the whole list after the draw. It is surprising how many people from the same family are drawing tags.

Is your daughter going to school here by chance?

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, thanks. You are exactly the person I was hoping to hear from.

My daughter, and hunting partner, is hoping to go to school outside of Philly at a small school there. She has studied very hard for years and is a National Merit semi-finalist, so we hope there are enough scholarships. Her scholastics were good enough to get her into a program at Cambridge for the summer, where she met her boyfriend. He goes to school in Vermont, hence some of the connection.

I guess all I can do is apply and go from there, which is not a bad deal anyway. I was just wondering about landowner tags, but I guess not. Frowner

Thanks for the response!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ah, if there only were land owner tags!

Tell your daughter to keep the boyfriend, he is obviously considerate to offer moose hunting to her! Just keep applying, both of you should, you never know. Lots of moose here, many play tag with cars on the interstate and plenty of people get killed due to that.

I am now 2 for nothing on the moose draw (3 fer coming up) but it's only $10 for me to apply. Wink

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote