THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Feds culling elk as disease continues killing them

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feds culling elk as disease continues killing them
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16889366

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9416 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What elk?? I thought the wolves ate them all.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the "naturalist" wants to reintroduce wolves Eeker, thats what we need...more wolves. Jeez.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang, this wasting disease thing is just a freakin mess.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems political correctness renders it impossible to manage game in a logical manner anymore. The article states that in adjacent areas where hunting is allowed the problem is less severe.

"Will diseases start managing these populations?" Wild wonders. "We'd like to be able to manage our wildlife in a way that's a bit more controlled than a disease, where we don't know what the disease will do to the population."

Let's see, hasn't hunting been used as an effective management tool for a few years?

"Some people aren't happy. They didn't expect to move into an area hoping to enjoy viewing wildlife and watch their neighbors killing them,"

These people move here from the cities with anthropomorphic ideas about Bambi. Hunting has been a way of life here for all of my life, for the entire history of our state. It is a sad thing to see this change in our culture. I would think it wiser for state agencies to begin an ad campaign to paint hunting as a desirable and necessary tool for economical game management. Wouldn't it be something to see our Division of Wildlife actually take a stand for hunting with the non-hunting public, instead of preaching to us, the choir? Political realities are what they are, and this is not going to happen.

"I wish we could bring back wolves," Uhing said. "I'd love to see that natural balance."

This from a Denver Mountain Parks naturalist. Bringing back wolves will not restore "that natural balance". Colorado is not the same place it was when things were in a natural balance that did not include modern man and modern technology. The world is a different place now. I guess some folks haven't got that yet. I have an idea about wolves too; if you want to see that natural balance go to Canada or Alaska. Keep them the hell out of here. Funny how these sort of folks think hunting of elk is cruel, but it is natures way that they be pulled down, torn and eaten alive by wolves. No one wants to discuss this though, better to turn their heads and simply not acknowledge the cruelty of natures' way. I am grateful to live in a time when we are still free to hunt, still free to be the natural human beings our creator made us to be. Things change, but it seems to me that way too much of modern man has lost connection with the earth and the natural way of things. Instead there is too often this anthropomorphic fantasy of how nature is. We have learned many amazing things about nature, animals and their intelligence, but that doesn't change the natural order of things. Folks who have lived in the country long enough, or worked on farms and ranches, seem to have a grasp on the true nature of animals and the ways of the wild. I believe that in time we will collectively lose our connection with earth and the natural order of things, and so we will lose our context as human beings. I'm old enough I'll be gone by then. There is also mercy in the natural order.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the CWD angle is just the angle being used
to CULL an overpopulation of elk.
keeps the bleeding hearts from screaming their heads off.
bet the end result finds less than .05 of elk tested have the disease.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What elk?? I thought the wolves ate them all.

Roll Eyes The article addresses Colorado's RMP. The wolves are in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. Look at a map and maybe you can discern between states.

Just this week in Northwest Wy, the Govenor reopened 4 elk areas for Jan. 1st through the 31st for cow only hunts, these areas had closed in November and late december. it was a first time move by the state. All unused bull tags and cow tags are viable for this hunt. CWD is also being used to justify this.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote