New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Slam bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering trying the 160 gr. Grand Slam bullet out of my 7 mag this year for elk. Normal shots run about 300 yds. I know the BC is not as high as the AccuBonds that I used this year but at 300 yards it doesn't amount to enough to worry about. I'm more intersted in expansion characteristics, retained weight, penetration, etc.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them for a long time, with exceptional results, as long as rifle caliber and projectile size matched the targeted species. (I had one "failure" years ago: a 150-grain GS out of a .270 failed to exit on a bull elk at 200 yards, but that is the only fragmentation I have experienced. I think I would have been better served with a Big 7 and 160s or an '06 and 165s...)

I have read recently that the bullet has been re-engineered and is no longer a pure lead tip with an antimonial lead core, but have no proof of that. IF that is the case, I would think the bullet's retained weight number may change. But for deer and pigs, I don't think you can get any better, and the 160 should work well on a bull.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You place one into a bulls boiler room and he will not go far.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A well placed "Hot Core" bullet will do the job. I've never really considered the Grand Slam to be a true premium bullet, but they cost as much. It has been 30 years since I tested them extensively, with less than stellar results. Perhaps they have been re-engineered and improved, I wouldn't know.

However, with so many other GREAT bullets out there, I see no need to re-test the GS. All bullets do a decent job when well placed, but the good premiums do add some measure of improvement. I prefer the Barnes TSX and Nosler, but there are many that work quite well.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Used to shoot them when Speer loaded them in the Nitrex bullet. Big pigs and fat Whitetails didn't seem to like being shot with them too much.

I recently bought 100 of the 7mm 160's to start loading them in my 7 Mag.

I think they are fine. We can split hairs over fragmentation and this and that ... oh wait, I forgot, splitting hairs is what talk forums are all about!

Never mind. Horrible bullet I would never use it cuz once I heard of this guy ... yeah, he hit a doe with one and never found it! He said it done hit the deer in it's shoulder and didn't exit or kill it or nuthin!

Big Grin

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about anyone on this thread, just talk forums in general.

llamapacker does have a point though. With all the good bullets out there, why try GS? Good question.

Personally, I don't care for TSX in .30 cal or smaller. Absolutely love it in calibers bigger than .30.

Nosler Partitions are the benchmark for the partitioned bullet market. They tend to be a bit thin skinned, but pretty darn reliable.

Does the GS have a thicker copper jacket than NP?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Grand Slam rates right there with the best of them. I shot a big Wy Mulie at 430 yds with 300 Mag, quartering away from me. Bullet entered Rt rear hip, shattering the hip, traveled forward into Rt shl, shattering the shl. Great bullet

Scott

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 180gr in a 300 wm and have great results on deer bear and elk. Worked great on plains game as well.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:

I have read recently that the bullet has been re-engineered and is no longer a pure lead tip with an antimonial lead core, but have no proof of that.

That is a fact. The description of the "new" GS is identical to the short lived "deep Shok" which is not to be confused with the deep curl. And they appear identical to the DS bullet as well.

I still have some deep Shok bullets and I think they may actualy be better than the old GS because they dont have the accuracy issues that the old dual core GS used to have. They have a fluted tip and a thick rearward jacket to keep it together. I still have a couple of boxes of 160 gn 7mm Mag Tips which are a similar design and they are a damn good bullet. The new GS is even better.. I wouldnt hesitate to use them on a big Bull, but I dont like shoulder shots either.

I wouldnt hesitate to use a 160 gn Hornady on a big Bull. And I have cut open both bullets and the new GS has a considerably thicker jacket.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote